• 3(current)
(EmbER) Linux for Amlogic TV Boxes
OK. We may be able to add a shutdown function in a future update to the m8 devices. I'll look into it for you. At the moment I'm just finishing dvb support and a tvheadend service.
(M8 feature only)
Thanks Josh.5

Sent from my iPhone
There is indeed no reason not to just use suspend, and anyway it makes for a much faster restart of course. As I said before, and Josh knows this too, the only caveat is that the clock loses about an hour a day whilst in suspend mode, but this will hopefully and most likely be corrected with the next EmbER S805 update V4.0.1.

For now, repeating what I said above, if I have been in suspend mode for any extended period of time then after a fast restart I simply hit the onscreen power button bottom left and select reboot from the options and that full reboot will put the time clock back correct again.
Cheers
Raymw
Will EmbER be available for the M8 S802 (Matricom G-box Q) in the near future?
If anyone is interested I have a replacement remote.conf file for the MXQ M12 metal case boxes. This will cure the annoying hardware bug that means you cannot reboot your box from the remote power button if you went into suspend mode using that remote power button. This edited remote.conf file will give you the usual old 3 choice menu instead when you hit the remote red power button and by choosing Suspend from the 3 options it will put your box as it says into suspend mode. However now the remote power button will warm reboot the box as it should without the annoying need to power off/on reboot your box. This appears to not be an EmbER problem as I have noticed from testing that this same fault is also often there with the default Android OS as supplied with the virginal new boxes.

If you want this amended remote.conf file (ONLY FOR MXQ M12 metal cased boxes running EmbER) then get it here " https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1731...xed%29.zip " from my Dropbox public folder (it is very small file) unzip this file called "M12 remote (fixed).zip" and using file manager (with access to hidden files and deletions enabled as usual) add it to the folder /root/Configs/kodi/ and then reboot your box for it to take effect.

I hope Josh may be able to incorporate this into the next EmbER update V4.0.1 but I gather that is still some weeks away yet.
Cheers
Raymw
Hi Ray that's great. Does it give you a power off option?

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-07-31, 15:40)ed_davidson Wrote: Hi Ray that's great. Does it give you a power off option?

Sent from my iPhone

Only the Countdown Timer shutdown as before Ed, which I have to say I never personally use. Plus it also has Suspend which is what I always use for now a quick reliable warm reboot form the remote that now works, and of course the Reboot option which gives you a full reboot. So the usual three options we used to have before with the old M6 dual core boxes.
Cheers
Raymw
(2016-07-31, 08:50)raymw Wrote: If anyone is interested I have a replacement remote.conf file for the MXQ M12 metal case boxes. This will cure the annoying hardware bug that means you cannot reboot your box from the remote power button if you went into suspend mode using that remote power button. This edited remote.conf file will give you the usual old 3 choice menu instead when you hit the remote red power button and by choosing Suspend from the 3 options it will put your box as it says into suspend mode. However now the remote power button will warm reboot the box as it should without the annoying need to power off/on reboot your box. This appears to not be an EmbER problem as I have noticed from testing that this same fault is also often there with the default Android OS as supplied with the virginal new boxes.

If you want this amended remote.conf file (ONLY FOR MXQ M12 metal cased boxes running EmbER) then get it here " https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1731...xed%29.zip " from my Dropbox public folder (it is very small file) unzip this file called "M12 remote (fixed).zip" and using file manager (with access to hidden files and deletions enabled as usual) add it to the folder /root/Configs/kodi/ and then reboot your box for it to take effect.

I hope Josh may be able to incorporate this into the next EmbER update V4.0.1 but I gather that is still some weeks away yet.

Well the great news is that it also clears the well known bug that when in the original remote enabled suspend was used then the system clock lost around an hour a day. That of course then required a full cold reboot to reset the clock to correct the time, which of course defeated the big benefit of the suspend hot quick reboot. Well using the edited remote,conf as above, and selecting Suspend from the three options, that gives you what is a normal suspend mode BUT now the clock no longer loses time. I have discovered this after some extensive testing.. This clock bug is NOT an EmbER bug at all as it appears to be the same even in Android so is likely a base box related bug.
Cheers
Raymw
Hi all. I'm having an issue with EmbER freezing up when I click on reboot. Anyway I can produce a log for it?

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-08-25, 05:47)ed_davidson Wrote: Hi all. I'm having an issue with EmbER freezing up when I click on reboot. Anyway I can produce a log for it?

Sent from my iPhone

Hi Ed.

I too have had this problem recently and do not know the cause, but it seems most likely something corrupt in the set up you have or have recently restored to your box. I found it always occurred when I tried to change the short cuts in the System|Appearance|Skin Settings pages, and then found it locked up when I tried a reboot via the onscreen power icon or the amended remote control system (see earlier post regarding the edited remote.conf file). Power off//on hard reboot then brought the box back up but of course then your changes to the shortcuts were not saved though now the reboot would work normally Huh.

The fix for this cure I have found by experimenting was to go to the EmbER Settings|Maintenance page and carrying out the two clean up routines there (run the second one first as the top one requires a reboot anyway) After this clean up I found that I could now change my short cut settings and save them with a normal reboot using remote of onscreen power icon.and the reboot lock was no longer a problem. Have not ascertained which of the two maintenance clean ups is needed to fix this problem or indeed if you must run both. Need time to experiment to find that out.but I suspect it may be the second option rather than the first. I will try just running that second clean up option only next time I have this problem which is usually when I set up a new box restoring my latest configurations and add-on list, even though that was saved from a good working system. .

Let me know how you get on trying that Ed as this needs to be confirmed and tested. As to the cause then we have to leave that to Josh who I know is very busy until next month.
Cheers
Raymw
Hot news. For those with the metal cased MXQ M12 boxes with the S805 EmbER build then there has just been released a V4.0.1 Nightly Build for those who feel competent enough to try this new Beta build which has a raft of bug fixes according to Josh at EmbER . Please be aware that this is a Beta Build so could well have bugs so only for those who are wiling to test it out and please feed back your experience of it here too.

I have now installed it and the update went smoothly and all boots up okay and looks to be all working fine. I have also now removed the edited ntp.conf file some of us had to use to get the correct date and time at boot up and so far it works fine without that ntp temporary fix we used before, so this is fixed for sure it seems. Josh has apparently considerably reworked the power management so please test to check that the past related issues are fixed. Certainly I have removed my temporary fix remote.conf file too, and we are now back with the instant suspend mode when pressing the remote red power button. However from this instant suspend mode when trying to reboot from the remote then I still find it fails on first attempt every time, but now it always works on the second attempt unlike before. Now I will be also testing to see if the time loss is still occurring in this default suspend mode, so will report back on this issue tomorrow or Sunday after it has been in this instant suspend mode for many hours overnight.

Thanks to Josh and Corey for their continued work on this excellent S805 EmbER build.
Cheers
Raymw
Did they happen to put in a shutdown function?

Sent from my iPhone
Thanks Ray I'll have a play around and see if I can find out the cause.

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-08-26, 12:21)raymw Wrote:
(2016-08-25, 05:47)ed_davidson Wrote: Hi all. I'm having an issue with EmbER freezing up when I click on reboot. Anyway I can produce a log for it?

Sent from my iPhone

Hi Ed.

I too have had this problem recently and do not know the cause, but it seems most likely something corrupt in the set up you have or have recently restored to your box. I found it always occurred when I tried to change the short cuts in the System|Appearance|Skin Settings pages, and then found it locked up when I tried a reboot via the onscreen power icon or the amended remote control system (see earlier post regarding the edited remote.conf file). Power off//on hard reboot then brought the box back up but of course then your changes to the shortcuts were not saved though now the reboot would work normally Huh.

The fix for this cure I have found by experimenting was to go to the EmbER Settings|Maintenance page and carrying out the two clean up routines there (run the second one first as the top one requires a reboot anyway) After this clean up I found that I could now change my short cut settings and save them with a normal reboot using remote of onscreen power icon.and the reboot lock was no longer a problem. Have not ascertained which of the two maintenance clean ups is needed to fix this problem or indeed if you must run both. Need time to experiment to find that out.but I suspect it may be the second option rather than the first. I will try just running that second clean up option only next time I have this problem which is usually when I set up a new box restoring my latest configurations and add-on list, even though that was saved from a good working system. .

Let me know how you get on trying that Ed as this needs to be confirmed and tested. As to the cause then we have to leave that to Josh who I know is very busy until next month.

Thanks Ray I just tried the "Remove Temp Files and Temporary Installation Files" and after I clicked that I want to reboot and it worked just fine. I hope this is what it is.
Is it possible for Josh to post the executebuiltin command for that so I can add it to a shortcut?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-08-26, 12:21)raymw Wrote:

Sent from my iPhone

Hi Ed.

Hi Ray
I clicked the "Remove Temp Files and Temporary Installation Files" In then went back to the home screen and clicked reboot. It worked very well. So I guess that is the trick.
Please can you ask Josh if he can post the Executebuiltin command for that so I can add it to a shortcut?

On another note I updated to the latest beta and found that after some initial problems with freezing on startup, it seems to boot fast and reboot super fast. All in all a improvement.

Sent from my iPhone
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
(EmbER) Linux for Amlogic TV Boxes0