• 4(current)
(EmbER) Linux for Amlogic TV Boxes
I have found that with the latest beta after using my own addon to update my CONFIG files the reboot command still works and it does not freeze up. Black screen happens almost instantly. The only issue I had was that on the reboot the skin froze at the kodi logo. I pulled the plug and everything seemed fine 2nd time.

Sent from my iPhone
Sorry for the repost but it didn't show up on Tapatalk, only web view.

I clicked the "Remove Temp Files and Temporary Installation Files" In then went back to the home screen and clicked reboot. It worked very well. So I guess that is the trick.
Please can you ask Josh if he can post the Executebuiltin command for that so I can add it to a shortcut?

On another note I updated to the latest beta and found that after some initial problems with freezing on startup, it seems to boot fast and reboot super fast. All in all a improvement.

Sent from my iPhone
Thanks for feedback Ed

The bug with the instant suspend mode using the remote red power button is still there though. Two problems is that it is difficult to get it to reboot form the remote often taking several attempts before the reboot holds rather than keep shutting down after a couple of seconds. And the time loss problem is still there I have found when left in this instant remote instigated suspend mode. Easy cure is what I had before with V4.0.0 just install the edited remote.conf I made available somewhere above by simply adding it to the /root/Configs/kodi folder (you may have to first create a new kodi folder there) and then do a hard reboot. Both time loss and unable to reboot from the remote instant suspend mode will then go away and I find usefully the red power remote button will give you the three options of Shutdown timer, Suspend and Reboot. These three options are in fact exactly the same as you get if you select the onscreen power icon and hit OK.

Ed I don't think Josh will do that with a built in execute command as it is not something that you would often need to do so would likely be a lot of work for him for little benefit, but I am guessing here so that is up to Josh and Corey of course. Usually I only run the two EmbER maintenance cleanups about once a month to keep my system clean and snappy, and anyway this reboot hanging problem goes away once you run as you say the second option to clear all the temporary and old add-on installation files and has not yet returned for me either.
Cheers
Raymw
(2016-08-27, 06:14)raymw Wrote: Thanks for feedback Ed

The bug with the instant suspend mode using the remote red power button is still there though. Two problems is that it is difficult to get it to reboot form the remote often taking several attempts before the reboot holds rather than keep shutting down after a couple of seconds. And the time loss problem is still there I have found when left in this instant remote instigated suspend mode. Easy cure is what I had before with V4.0.0 just install the edited remote.conf I made available somewhere above by simply adding it to the /root/Configs/kodi folder (you may have to first create a new kodi folder there) and then do a hard reboot. Both time loss and unable to reboot from the remote instant suspend mode will then go away and I find usefully the red power remote button will give you the three options of Shutdown timer, Suspend and Reboot. These three options are in fact exactly the same as you get if you select the onscreen power icon and hit OK.

Ed I don't think Josh will do that with a built in execute command as it is not something that you would often need to do so would likely be a lot of work for him for little benefit, but I am guessing here so that is up to Josh and Corey of course. Usually I only run the two EmbER maintenance cleanups about once a month to keep my system clean and snappy, and anyway this reboot hanging problem goes away once you run as you say the second option to clear all the temporary and old add-on installation files and has not yet returned for me either.

Since I updated to the latest nightly the reboot bug seems to have gone away and black screen is almost instant.

Regarding the executebuiltin command, I just need to know what command is being used, there is no extra coding that needs to be done.

Sent from my iPhone
I just noticed that the custom shutdown timer does nothing apart from reboots the box. I had the same issue when I ran the executebuiltin command ShutDown. I think that must be a big. I would really like to see a shutdown command, instead of a shutdown timer.

Sent from my iPhone
FYI the command for opening the EmbER Settings is
Code:
RunScript("script.system.settings")
Hi all,
This may seem like a silly question, but I installed one of the EmbER ADDONS and I can't seem to find it in the addons to be able to configure it.
Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-08-27, 06:40)ed_davidson Wrote:
(2016-08-27, 06:14)raymw Wrote: Thanks for feedback Ed

Since I updated to the latest nightly the reboot bug seems to have gone away and black screen is almost instant.

Regarding the executebuiltin command, I just need to know what command is being used, there is no extra coding that needs to be done.

Sent from my iPhone

Yes that bug is indeed fixed. :-)

However I was talking about when you put the box into instant suspend mode by hitting the remote power button (assuming you have not installed my edited remote.conf file). The box instantly goes into suspend mode but when you try to power it back up using the remote power button if starts to boot up then goes back into suspend with the front blue light going out again. Often it works on the second attempt and sometimes takes a lot more attempts, but it never works on the first attempt. Only fix so far is to use my remove.conf file which gives you the three options and indeed a lot of folk prefer this as indeed I do too, but that is subjective of course.
Note that if you had previously installed the edited remote.conf in your Configs / kodi folder then the update to the new nightly build (or any build) will not remove it so to test the default remote settings you need to manually remove it first and reboot. Same is true for the edited ntp.conf file too, which is no longer needed with the new nightly build as that issue is indeed fixed.

Yes I already know about the shutdown timer only rebooting and not shutting down as had discovered that yesterday. That has already been passed onto Josh too..
Cheers
Raymw
Regarding the ntp.conf file one of my boxes came up 1969 when I started it today. Also nothing worked on the box. I'll try and figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-08-28, 21:30)ed_davidson Wrote: Regarding the ntp.conf file one of my boxes came up 1969 when I started it today. Also nothing worked on the box. I'll try and figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone

The special edited ntp.conf file was primarily required for Asia BUT this bug is now fixed from all my tests with the new nightly build Ed. We can all get the odd boot up where for some reason it does not connect to the internet, check your router/modem and best to even reboot it say about once a week too. This now fixed old bug usually means that you never get the right date and time after boot up, even though you are connected to the internet (you should check in System | System Information | Network) . If reboots do not solve it then the bug is still there on your box for some reason, but will be surprised as it is fixed now I am sure. With the nightly build you can and really should remove the now unneeded edited special ntp.conf file from the /root/Configs folder if you originally installed it (should never have been even needed in Canada).
Cheers
Raymw
Really appreciate the chatter here guys. Great to see some testers taking that nightly for a thrashing and feeding back comments and suggestions. I've been talking to Ray about a couple of the bugs that you have encountered. The new power manager in the ember 4.0.1 builds seem to still require some tweaking. Also, until tonight I was actually unaware that I had forgotten to enable both power off and suspend in Kodi in the 4.0.1 builds. Sorry about that. I'll try to get some of these things patched in the next few days. Also, I will look into adding a shortcut for the maintenance tools to the system settings so you can add it to skin shortcuts.
Again, really appreciate the testing and feedback. This is exactly why we want to do some form of regular nightly builds as it helps us to better tailor ember for you the users.

Sent from my LG-F320
(2016-08-28, 21:30)ed_davidson Wrote: Regarding the ntp.conf file one of my boxes came up 1969 when I started it today. Also nothing worked on the box. I'll try and figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone
I think I need to adjust the order of come of the commands that are executed on boot and post suspend for updating ntp. If you are talking about this on the latest nightly, that may be the issue. NTP is still a work in progress...
What fixes were in the August 30th nightly??

Sent from my iPhone
I already asked Josh this last week and he said no fixes over the 26th Aug Nightly but it was apparently released to sync in with the new M6 nightly too..
Cheers
Raymw
One thing I would truly like to see here guys is more of you giving feedback on the Nightly builds. It really does help Josh and Cory to get constructive feedback both positive and negative and it is how a good community works and gets great results..
Cheers
Raymw
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
(EmbER) Linux for Amlogic TV Boxes0