kodi.resource.images.
Is there any guidance about the proper way to use kodi.resource.images addons?

A few of my specific questions are:
  1. Are they intended to be used with addon themepaks in addition to skins?
  2. What is the purpose of the compile attribute in the extension element?
  3. What are the valid values for "type" and what effect do they have?
  4. What's the purpose of the kodi.resource import I see in some resource.images addon.xml?
  5. What is the purpose of the "info.xml" I see in them? Is it necessary?

I searched the forum and the wiki but didn't find anything explaining any details.
1. the original goal was to reduce the size of skins (and avoid duplication of graphics).
for example, many skins used to contain the same set of 1000+ studio logos.
they can now be distributed separately instead of being included in every skin.

2. whether or not the images should be packed in an .xbt file.
rule of thumb, for images smaller than 512x512 the compile flag should be set to true.
for large images, compile should be set to false as there is little gain when packing them
and the resulting .xbt file will be huge.

3. type can have any value. just use something that describes the content of the addon.

4. version control. all current resource addons are compatible with kodi.resource 1.0.0
if we ever need to make some internal (breaking) changes to the way kodi handles resource addons,
we will bump kodi.resource to 2.0.0, which will invalidate all current addons as they will need to be updated
to the new standard.

5. info.xml is entirely optional. it is only used by the Image Resource Select addon.
it contains some additional info on whether the resource addon contains .jpg or .png images
and whether or not the addon contains multiple subfolders. this info is sometimes needed by skins to properly display the images.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Thanks! That's just what I needed. I have had a few of these kind of addons used for themes for my addons for a while to avoid having to push the theme images with every code update. I was previously distributing the thempaks as program addons, That's already proved to be a problem in Krypton because they were showing on the main page of Estuary. I'll switch them to this kind of addon.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
kodi.resource.images.0