Req Kodi for FireFox OS (Panasonic tv's)
Dear super developers,

Would you be willing and able to develop a Kodi app for FireFox OS, for on the new Panasonic TVs? We are on the verge of purchasing a new tv as our old one is dying, and want a Panasonic for its beautiful screen quality... However we wouldn't be able to use Kodi or our Kodi database, if we buy Panasonic... Confused

I would hate to miss Kodi as we've enjoyed using it on several platforms for quite some time and have built a large database that we don't want to lose! Plus, it truly is the best media player out there so I don't really want to settle for anything less...

Many thanks for considering,
Mrs Often
IIRC firefox os allows html5 css javascript based apps only. No way Kodi can run on that. Consider using a raspbeery pi or other kodi capable box and buy the tv you want (doesn't make sense to select one based on the Kodi fact imo as there a to many other parameters that could be bad on those TVs then...)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Many thanks Memphiz for your quick and detailed reply!

Good to know there is no hope whatsoever. We've had a dumb TV up to now and have run Kodi on Apple TV and Raspberry Pi when Apple TV gave up. So yes we could continue doing that. It's just that buying a pricey new smart TV I think it should be capable of everything, controlling everything from one device/controller. Such a shame to need a separate device + controller after spending so much money.

But yes, you are right. It is also ridiculous to buy something expensive based on whether it can run Kodi or not... FireFox OS does have its own media player and should be able to read our files from our Raspberry Pi server. I just can't seem to find a demonstration of that functionality so I have no idea if the media player is any good. Another option would be to use the browser to get to a web based Kodi that we can run from the server... But again, so much hassle after paying good money is hardly worth it. Plus, we never watch regular TV, we only use Netflix and Kodi... So it would be a lot of hassle very often.

Thank you for your advice! It might not sound like it after my rant, but it was very helpful.

There is one other TV option (Philips) that we haven't seen yet in real life, so we'll just have to find a place that carries it and hope the screen is at least as good as the Panasonic. Will be tricky because it's last year's model.
You quite probably should be able to run the Pi via the TV's controller via CEC.

I can do that with my cheap dumb LG TV, so a fancy smart one should also have that capability.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Oh interesting!! I will definitely look into that, thanks!!
Panasonic call their implementation of CEC "Viera Link", so look for that on the new set.

The Pi has the set-up for it built-in, so once you have it enabled on TV you should have the ability to control Kodi on the Pi via the buttons on the TV remote.

The two do have to be linked via HDMI with a suitable HDMI cable (most these days have the wiring for CEC as standard, mine's a very cheap one and it does), and in some cases it may need to use a specific HDMI port on the TV (they are normally labelled if not all of them support it).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thank you!!! Yay!! Very helpful Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi for FireFox OS (Panasonic tv's)0