More Information about Live TV Channels
Hi
I usually look for information such as signal quality and signal strength, satellite frequency details, audio/video codecs, or any other useful picture data when I m watching live TV satellite channels. Is it possible for Kodi team to add this kind of information to "info" window? I used to check this information in "codec info" view with Kodi 16, but on Kodi 17 some of those important information don t show up in "codec info" screen.
may I ask why this info is relevant? Not that I veto adding it in any way, I'm just curious what people use this info for, as at least to me it's totally pointless (DVB-S2, simple roof mounted dish). Is it needed to check for best dish position when using DiSEC?
Hi da-anda
I use RPi 3 and DVB-S2 card instead of a satellite receiver. Where I live there are annoying frequencies that interrupts signal receiving (sometimes) and I have to check channel info with my neighbors to find out if problem is my config, dish position or other things.
btw, there is already an ongoing discussion among our devs on how to bring back this info best, so it should be back for final release of v17
thx in advance
(2016-06-20, 15:25)da-anda Wrote: may I ask why this info is relevant? Not that I veto adding it in any way, I'm just curious what people use this info for, as at least to me it's totally pointless (DVB-S2, simple roof mounted dish). Is it needed to check for best dish position when using DiSEC?

It can be useful for dish optimising if you have a motorised DVB-S2 set-up. It can also be useful in some cases if you start getting picture artefacts - because you can see if it is a problem, potentially, with your source signal - or somewhere else (say network related). Also - if you have multiple versions of the same channel (say you live in a region with two transmitters close to you - but not using a single frequency network - the signal strength info can help you work out which is which - though this is really the province of backends)

Personally I'm a fan of providing as much information as possible in some situations. (Possibly it would make sense for the Advanced / Expert options in set-up to also control how much info you see on some displays?)
This is also pretty standard information that any consumer STB will show to help with troubleshooting.
I know this information is shown in most STB devices, I just wondered if it's actually used by people, because in my area it's rather useless once the dish is setup, and for setting it up there are also other devices to check signal strength etc
There are movable (motorized) dishes, and storms that move your dish around. Getting info onscreen is easier than unplugging your setup and finding your signal meter ...
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-06-24, 13:01)da-anda Wrote: I know this information is shown in most STB devices, I just wondered if it's actually used by people, because in my area it's rather useless once the dish is setup, and for setting it up there are also other devices to check signal strength etc

Not everyone has a fixed dish. It's really useful for optimising motorised dish positioners.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
More Information about Live TV Channels0