Poll: What should be name of Xbox Media Center now that there is an Linux port?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
XBMC as a meaningless acronym, the X.B.M.C. standing for nothing.
55.45%
XBMC-Linux
15.84%
XBMC for Linux, XBMC for Mac, XBMC for Windows, XBMC for Xbox, etc.
10.89%
XBMC as an abbreviation for "XrossBox Media Center" (pronounced 'Cross-Box Media Center')
11.88%
I have another great name and I'll post it!
5.94%
Total
101 vote(s)
100%
* You voted for this item.

What will XBox Media Center going to be renamed to now that it is cross-platform?
Question 
This may be a minor point at the moment but presumably XBOX mediacenter will no longer be relevant to a Linux version. 'Linux Media Center' sounds a little uninteresting, so how about a naming competition and a modified logo for the skin at some point?
no decisions have been made so lets just call it "XBMC for Linux" for now,
...we know we want to keep "XBMC", just not agreed what it will stand for.

Though I personaly suggested "XrossBox Media Center" (pronouced "Cross-Box Media Center", similar to how XenSource is pronounced 'Zen-Source') internally to Team-XBMC, and if you noticed this name still makes XBMC (X.B.M.C.) the short name for it, (as in XrossBox Media Center). However not eveyone elase on Team-XBMC liked that name, however I have to say that I strongly like the name XrossBox myself. My arguments for suggestion the name XrossBox is that the word 'CROSS' associates to both "cross-platform" and "cross-port", which is what XBMC will be, a multi-platform software running cross both multiple hardware platforms and multiple operating-systems. The word 'BOX' in "XrossBox" associates to the fact that it is designed to run on a stand-alone 'device' (ei. 'a box'), 'BOX' also associates to TV (as in Tele-Vision) which XBMC is viewed on, I'm refering to TV as in 'TV-BOX' (TV which has slang the "The Box" in the the U.S.A. and England).

I also happen to think that the name "XrossBox Media Center" is catchy and is easy to remember.

Anyway, the point of any name-change made would be to have a platform neutral meaning (since XBMC will be running on at least the Xbox and Linux, and maybe even OSX and Windows as well in a couple of years time), though the new name should still be 'catchy' and easy to remember.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I think Xross Box Media Center would work as long as there is a strong visual design around the 'Xross Box' element. These should reduce the fact that it looks a little ungainly written down. For example, you could have a large, faded 'C' containing the 'X' with the 'ross' in lower case and then 'BOX' in upper case. This will give a phonetic clue to the pronounciation. The 'MediaCenter' element could sit underneath. If anyone doesn't object I'll knock up some small samples, just to get some ideas going.

My lack of talent is apparent, but here goes:

or how about:
Xtensively
Broad
Media
Coverage

HuhOo
Gamester17 Wrote:I personaly suggested "XrossBox Media Center" (pronouced "Cross-Box Media Center") internally to Team-XBMC but not eveyone liked that, however I strongly liked that myself. My arguments for suggestion the name XrossBox is that the word 'CROSS' associates to both "cross-platform" and "cross-port", which is what XBMC will be, a multi-platform software running cross both multiple hardware platforms and multiple operating-systems. The word 'BOX' in "XrossBox" associates to the fact that it is designed to run on a stand-alone 'device' (ei. 'a box'), 'BOX' also associates to TV (as in Tele-Vision) which XBMC is viewed on, I'm refering to TV as in 'TV-BOX' (TV which has slang the "The Box" in the the U.S.A. and England).

I also happen to think that the name "XrossBox Media Center" is catchy and is easy to remember.

Anyway, the point of any name-change made would be to have a platform neutral meaning (since XBMC will be running on at least the Xbox and Linux, and maybe even OS X and Windows as well in a couple of years time), though the new name should still be 'catchy' and easy to remember.

considering that few words even begin with "x", this is the best I can think of.
My take: XBMC is a strong brand and we should keep it. We need to get rid of XboxMediaCenter and stick with XBMC as a meanigless acronym.
That's a valid point and could simplify things.
yuvalt.. +1

A small change that would make it more descriptive would be XBMC-Linux or XBMC for Linux, but I agree that the XBMC shouldn't be changed.
yuvalt Wrote:My take: XBMC is a strong brand and we should keep it. We need to get rid of XboxMediaCenter and stick with XBMC as a meanigless acronym.

that, too, is an awesome idea. i like it.
yuvalt.. +2

XBMC by itself is a great name for it. It doesn't matter what the letters stand for. I also like szsori's idea of adding -Linux or for Linux if need be.

J_K_M_A_N
It runs under X
it runs on a Box
It is a Media Center

I say the name stands Smile
What it runs on is not really that important. The features are... What will a port bring over the Xbox?

* Digital video output (DVI/HDMI)
* Full HD support x264 (720p/1080p)
* TV and PVR functionality (TV tuning, EPG, recording)
* etc

It does not matter if it's Linux, Windows, Xbox or some other platform. Hence "XBMC-Linux" or "for Linux" says nothing imo. XBMC will suffice
I'd say, just keep XBMC, it don't really need a flashy explanation, let the app speak for itself Wink

And it's a nice wink into the past, to let us never forget how tis all started, with XBMP.

XBMC is very easy to pronounce, don't change a winning...
well, you know what I mean Wink
My last word on this as I started it!

I believe the XBMC branding should remain and the relevant platform simply appended to it for future ports as previously stated with a slight modification. E.g:

XBMC:Linux Edition
XBMC:Windows Edition
XBMC:OSX Edition

and so on.
yuvalt has it right. There is no good reason to change the name. Having a meaningless acronym is good thing. Having the letters "MC" at the end really nails it down as a media center product. Leaving it as "XBMC" allows it to lean on the already established branding. Let users find out for themselves that it had a deprecated meaning is just fine too.
I thnk it should be XBMC, but I do also think that the OS needs to be in there somewhere, otherwise it will leed to confusion when two people are talking...

"Oooo xbmc allows you to record tv, thats great" "Emmm no it doesn't, cos the xbox doesn't have a tv tuner" "Well duh!!! I was talking about xbmc on linux"

That type of thing.. So yeah, xbmx for xbox, xbmc for windows, xbox for linux, xbmc for ZX81.....

mj

mj

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What will XBox Media Center going to be renamed to now that it is cross-platform?0