Which box to buy?
Hello everyone,

I'm aware this question is going to annoy a lot of users but i had to ask again in my own words.

I'm not very technical as a lot users over here seem to be and I did read a couple of topics before posting my own, but my question is that I'm looking for a tv box which will stream TV and sports without lagging.

I'm not looking to play games on it or watch netflix or anything, just an alternative to cut my cable and be able to watch live TV and live sports.

I don't currently have any knowledge as to when users talk about terms like 'OpenELEC / LibreELEC' or 'RPI2/RPI3' etc...

I'm aware that watching live sports and TV is going to depend on the addon library i add to kodi and isn't a topic for this thread.

Thank you for taking time to answer my question!
You need to think about whether you want to run it on windows, linux, android, or even a mac.
Do you need 4K?
Do you have any special sound requirements?
Do you need 3D?
Do you need a remote? Do you need a keyboard?

The terms RPi2/RPi3 refer to Raspberry Pi 2 or Raspberry Pi 3 which can run OpenELEC or LibreELEC, which are purposebuilt OSes for Kodi. The raspberry pi is a slick option for a relatively cheap and full featured box.

Honestly, this thread stickied at the top of the forum is really helpful: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

I suggest you read up some more and then consider your needs and then revisit that thread ^.
NVidia Shield Pro
Firestick
Wetek Core
Panasonic P60ST30
Biggest tip of the lot if you are a Newbie. Buy something that has both seller and Kodi forum after sales support.
Buying a unknown Kodi box off Amazon or EBay and you will be on your own fixing issues.
You will be lied to, dazzled with tech specs at cheap prices and seduced by offers of free this and that.

Most of them are buggy, Pirate rubbish as well and come with paid for Hyped up reviews from users that don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Plug N Play with great support, you will have to pay for this, but you will have far less problems and headaches in the long run.
nVIDIA, MINIX and WeTeK are Kodi Diamond sponsors. These guys actually care about how well Kodi runs on their devices.

(2016-06-25, 02:35)wrxtasy Wrote: Biggest tip of the lot if you are a Newbie. Buy something that has both seller and Kodi forum after sales support.
Buying a unknown Kodi box off Amazon or EBay and you will be on your own fixing issues.
You will be lied to, dazzled with tech specs at cheap prices and seduced by offers of free this and that.

Most of them are buggy, Pirate rubbish as well and come with paid for Hyped up reviews from users that don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Plug N Play with great support, you will have to pay for this, but you will have far less problems and headaches in the long run.
nVIDIA, MINIX and WeTeK are Kodi Diamond sponsors. These guys actually care about how well Kodi runs on their devices.

Which box from the above Diamond sponsors would you recommend to the OP?
1) Price range is the first consideration ?
2) And then Geographic Location for live TV viewing ?

Then the OP need to be aware that Live TV needs a PVR backend server and that means either an Intel, RPi or AMLogic device usually running OpenELEC or LibreELEC to run that actual backend server. IPTV / Catchup TV is different and just plays streams from Internet servers.
You can also use HDHomeRun Hardware as a backend TV decoder.

We will NOT help with hardware choices for Pirate streams or Banned Addons.

The first thing you need to do is to gain some knowledge before you go buying a device. Kodi is not something you should jump into without at least some basic knowledge of what it is or what it can do, so you should read through First time user (wiki) in the Wiki (wiki) before you go any further.

^^Text in Blue are links --click on them^^

Second, from what you wrote it sounds as though what you want to do is stream live TV and sports through add-ons. So you should be aware that most of those are probably going to be Banned add-ons (wiki) and there is no support for those here. Not to mention that if you are not technical they are going to end up causing you issues and depending on were you live they can cause you issues with your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which box to buy?0