Request - Publicise skinning engine deprecations
The latest Krypton changes remove several window ID's that have previously been deprecated (VideoLibrary, MusicLibrary, PVR, Files, Scripts and several more.)

Whilst I fully understand and support the need for elements of the relevant API to become deprecated and then removed over time I would request better identification in the relevant changes thread that these elements have been deprecated before they are actually removed.

In the case of the removal of these window ID's in Krypton, there is no mention in the relevant changes thread for Helix, Isengard or Jarvis that these windows have been deprecated (literal translation - accepted but discouraged). Therefore their removal in Krypton comes as a surprise, as there is no prior knowledge that they had been deprecated.

Would the team please consider making it clear in advance, via the relevant threads, when any feature of the skinning API has been deprecated so that both skinners and scripters have plenty of advance warning that their relevant implementation needs to be updated.

Many thanks.
i guess we can always try to improve ;-)

what's 'obvious' to some (me) might be not so clear for others, so if you have any suggestion how i can improve my skin change announcements, let me know.

i usually tell skinners they have to change 'this window name' to 'that window name', which to me means they shouldn't use the old name anymore...
for instance: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2223887
but perhaps you interpret it differently?
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
I interpret the example you link to directly as "This window is no longer valid, use this window instead." - I don't think, though, that this example covers deprecation at all as the window you refer to becomes immediately invalid (for the record - and as the literal definition I quote says, I consider deprecation to be that in a particular version it's use is still accepted but is discouraged) Smile

As I say, I would personally appreciate that when things are deprecated (that is to say in a particular version their usage is still accepted but is discouraged - because the accepted usage has changed, for example) this is highlighted in the relevant thread. That way, when they are actually removed this does not come as a surprise.

And let me please re-iterate, I fully support the need to deprecate and remove elements from the relevant API as time goes on.

Edit:- This may be as simple as a - as seems to happen relatively often - case of semantics. Whereby these window ID's weren't actually deprecated in previous versions and are simply being removed now.

Edit 2:- And just to be absolutely clear, I base this thread on the following quote from the Krypton changes thread: "these deprecated window names are now removed from koi (sp)"
(2016-06-26, 01:54)BobCratchett Wrote: As I say, I would personally appreciate that when things are deprecated (that is to say in a particular version their usage is still accepted but is discouraged - because the accepted usage has changed, for example) this is highlighted in the relevant thread. That way, when they are actually removed this does not come as a surprise.

hmmm, as far as i recall we usually do that... another example: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1055507
which one of the removed window names came as a surprise to you?
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
The window name I'm working around in the Skin Shortcuts script is the removal of the VideoLibrary window - though if this came before the Helix changes thread I will happily admit that is me not keeping up with a deprecation announced more than two years previously.

Edit:- And doesn't affect any request to call out any deprecations Smile

Edit 2:- And can you honestly say that whilst a deprecation notice was issued for the Services window this is true for all the windows you have removed (in the post that notes they have been previously deprecated) in Krypton which, incidentally, don't actually appear to include said window.
you won't find it in the Helix thread, as that change was already made in XBMC Eden ;-)

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=93929

(2011-02-11, 23:50)jmarshall Wrote: 3. Change any references to "VideoFiles" in ActivateWindow calls to ActivateWindow(Videos,Files[,return])
4. Change any references to "VideoLibrary" in ActivateWindow calls to ActivateWindow(Videos,<whatever you had before>)
In that case can you please consider including deprecations from previous threads as I can assure you that, when updating a skin that works on one version to another, changes made 5 years previously won't be looked at and isn't included in the links in the current engine changes thread Smile

Edit:- As deprecations aren't immediately necessary, perhaps a sticky detailing what will break in future versions - whether that's immediately or 5(!) years later - would be useful.

Edit 2:- Having had what can only be a quick scan over a 9 page thread which is clearly aimed at getting skinners opinions on a change rather than publicising the change, the request is still to ensure that deprecations are highlighted. Such an old deprecation may not be considered relevant, but I hope you will take this as a plea to obviously highlight deprecations in the future.
One solution might be to indicate on the wiki when window IDs or other items are deprecated, prior to being removed completely. There's currently a list of removed IDs, but no indication for deprecated ones.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Window_IDs
(2016-06-27, 01:14)braz Wrote: One solution might be to indicate on the wiki when window IDs or other items are deprecated, prior to being removed completely. There's currently a list of removed IDs, but no indication for deprecated ones.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Window_IDs

Agree. There is an entry for videolibrary / videos but I think that's the only one that indicates old / new.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Request - Publicise skinning engine deprecations0