Strange issue with Graphics card upgrade
Today I installed a new graphics card and after I installed it and restarted Kodi it started up in the Confluence skin rather than the Aeon Nox that I had it set up with. I am running Jarvis 16.1 with Next PVR. I ended up having to reinstall Kodi to get it to work properly and had then issues with my guide information not showing 4 channels that did show up in the Next PVR channel guide. I finally got it all working as before the graphics card upgrade. Just wondering how upgrading the graphics card would affect the Kodi set up like it did. I was running on board graphics before, the new card is a EVGA Geforce GTX 950. Just wondering if anyone had ever heard of a issue like this before.
It really shouldn't as information is sent to a CPU or GPU and not stored on either. Did anything happen to your userdata folder? Did you do a fresh Windows install along with the GPU?
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L
(2016-06-27, 11:15)levi.baker88 Wrote: It really shouldn't as information is sent to a CPU or GPU and not stored on either. Did anything happen to your userdata folder? Did you do a fresh Windows install along with the GPU?
That is what I thought. I did not check the user data folder but I just cannot see how adding the video card could effect it. I did have some issues when I restarted the computer it kept trying to start Kodi and could not because the drivers were not yet installed for the video card. I ended up starting in safe mode and then I was able to load the drivers. If I get a chance today I will check the userdata folder. I did not do a fresh windows install when I added the card. I plan on installing a SSD and when I do that I will do a fresh install, I just do not want to take a chance on have the updates do a windows 10 install. I noticed the free offer ends July 31 so I will plan on the SSD upgrade after it ends. I installed the free windows 10 to my laptop that was running fine for me with windows 8.1 and it was a big mistake. It takes forever to load web pages due to all of the pop up ads that cannot be prevented. On another note I started the HTPC just now and it started up with no issues so I hope the new video card that has direct X 12 support has helped with some of the issues I was having with Kodi in the past. I did notice last night that the picture quality seemed better. Thanks for the reply.
Graphic Card software is not open sourced, and standards 'should' be followed, although in many cases this is not true. In the push to outdo other makers of a referenced card, sometimes compromises are made (and one of the reasons I have to go to XFX for my graphic card updates instead of AMD). It might have been something of this incongruity that may have influenced the settings you had (OTH could have been just a coincidence, with your hardware swap & some corruption). Although most graphic cards offer multiple resolutions, I personally have noticed that some hardware is better than others, and the sharpness of the described pixel is sometimes not as good as others (perhaps going through more chips on the card?)

Long/Short is that you're up and working (that's good, copy over your userdata folder to a safe place), if you expected an forensic analysis on the order of a MS team, then you haven't been around in these forums long.
I was not looking for a forensic analysis, just wondering if any one else had ever had the issue as it seemed very strange. I loaded the drivers from the cd that came with the Graphic Card. I will do a driver update from their site.
Thanks for the response.
Original drivers on a CD, are just enough to be operational, the support for more complex routines and bug fixes arrives online at your dime.I've been lurking these forums for a few years, I would hazard a guess that your specific issue is rare if not solo, but driver issues abound.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Strange issue with Graphics card upgrade0