Raspberry pi 3, orange pi 2 plus or ODROID c2??
good morning companions,

I'm thinking of buying another device. Currently I have the raspberry 3 and have no complaints. I have seen other devices with more ram, but not to have compatibility with Kodi. More or less have the same precio.Mis options are: Raspberry pi 3, orange pi 2 plus or ODROID c2 What you suggest I use ??

Thanks
Avoid the Orange Pi 2 Plus - it's a non-starter to Kodi as it is based on an Allwinner SoC.

The C2 is very impressive and has the following benefits over the Pi 3 : GigE, HEVC 10 bit, HDMI 2.0 2160/60p output, HD Audio bit streaming, and very swift.

Pi 3 has two main advantages over the C2 : Integrated WiFi and Bluetooth, Full 3D MVC decode and frame packed 24p output and PCM 5.1/7.1 output (which should be possible on the C2 but has yet to appear), much more up to date Linux kernel, so far better support for current USB DVB tuners, WiFi dongles etc.

The Pi 3 also has a much larger development team and is probably still better supported. (I'm not dissing the C2 developers at all - just that as there are fewer of them, some stuff takes longer to appear, and if they decide to concentrate on other platforms in a few months then support will wane)
(2016-06-27, 13:27)noggin Wrote: Avoid the Orange Pi 2 Plus - it's a non-starter to Kodi as it is based on an Allwinner SoC.

The C2 is very impressive and has the following benefits over the Pi 3 : GigE, HEVC 10 bit, HDMI 2.0 2160/60p output, HD Audio bit streaming, and very swift.

Pi 3 has two main advantages over the C2 : Integrated WiFi and Bluetooth, Full 3D MVC decode and frame packed 24p output and PCM 5.1/7.1 output (which should be possible on the C2 but has yet to appear), much more up to date Linux kernel, so far better support for current USB DVB tuners, WiFi dongles etc.

The Pi 3 also has a much larger development team and is probably still better supported. (I'm not dissing the C2 developers at all - just that as there are fewer of them, some stuff takes longer to appear, and if they decide to concentrate on other platforms in a few months then support will wane)

a small question. The c2 ODROID has infrared, I can handle kodi with infrared or need the hdmi cec as with raspberry. On TV I want to use does not have cec and this influences my choice. if I can not use the infrared i Will choose the raspberry, the option of integrated Wi-Fi, also can do some small robot through the community behind it. I hope you can help me with this question , thank you very much for the summary, clarified me a lot.
since you already have a pi 3, what "extra" things where you looking for out of a new board?
As noggin mentioned, your only other option is C2

but since you mention that you have "no complaints", why not just buy another Raspberry Pi 3, unless you need something that C2 offers that the pi 3 doesnt (wrxtasy where are you)

lastly the price of Pi is abit cheaper in the UK compared to the C2 so I think that for price/fun Pi wins, unless you specifically need the benefits of C2
Depends what "extras" you want to do with these RPi or C2 development boards.

As Noggin said...
External Hardware support for many and varied projects using one of these devices will be better supported by the much more modern Kernel that is available with the RPi's. The C2 can still do various projects, but you need to be pretty focused and specific and know what you want to do.

C2 makes for an impressive, little LibreELEC Kodi media machine if you need the extra features already outlined by Noggin.
eMMC Flash memory makes everything nice and snappy Smile

C2 has an IR receiver, you can easily self program using linux lirc.
LibreELEC is also running HDMI CEC control using a modded AML Pulse8 libCEC API and modded v3.14 S905 Kernel.
Results in HDMI-CEC, same as you will get on the RPi's so you can use your TV remote to control AVR's etc.

One warning. C2 is a 2160p machine. I would not be counting on WiFi to reliably stream 2160p, High Bitrate video.

I personally don't like 2.4GHz only WiFi in my Apartment. Far too much interference especially from Microwave ovens operating in the 2.45GHz band.

Then there is the WeTek S905 Hub, in a pretty complete integrated package. I'm also running LibreELEC Kodi already on it.
Yes lots of choices...pick what Audio / Video and important extra features you need and go from there....

(2016-06-28, 16:24)kilimanjaro Wrote: since you already have a pi 3, what "extra" things where you looking for out of a new board?
As noggin mentioned, your only other option is C2

but since you mention that you have "no complaints", why not just buy another Raspberry Pi 3, unless you need something that C2 offers that the pi 3 doesnt (wrxtasy where are you)

lastly the price of Pi is abit cheaper in the UK compared to the C2 so I think that for price/fun Pi wins, unless you specifically need the benefits of C2

+1
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
good morning

My main problem is that I will use on a tv without CEC hdmi. If I can manage KODI with the IR built-in c2 will choose this, however, if not possible, I will continue with raspberry. As I said I'm happy with the raspberry. If for both devices I have to buy a separate control, certainly raspberry. I welcome your comments thanks !!
For a Pi you can fairly easily add an IR remote via three wires and a suitable IR detector diode to the GPIO pins.

I run my travelling Pi Zero that way (with LibreElec 7.0.x), and the sum total of the parts was about $5 (plus an old spare remote handset I had laying around, but you can pick those up fairly cheaply too).

See here or here for a couple of project walkthroughs, or just Google "GPIO IR receiver" for other options.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-06-29, 11:35)DarrenHill Wrote: For a Pi you can fairly easily add an IR remote via three wires and a suitable IR detector diode to the GPIO pins.

I run my travelling Pi Zero that way (with LibreElec 7.0.x), and the sum total of the parts was about $5 (plus an old spare remote handset I had laying around, but you can pick those up fairly cheaply too).

See here or here for a couple of project walkthroughs, or just Google "GPIO IR receiver" for other options.

you just help me a lot, thank you very much !! I have a diode receiver infrared and radio control car, also it is cheaper and more useful . thank you very much to all

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry pi 3, orange pi 2 plus or ODROID c2??0