audio hardware advice
So Ive had my htpc all set up for a while now but Im still using the speakers on my tv for audio.

Im looking to get some decent surround sound set up but have no idea where to start when it comes to audio, also Im on a budget of around $500.

I've never had surround sound (or any home audio set up aside from the speakers on my tv) so I'm completely lost. When I search for audio stuff I see recievers, speakers, and amplifiers all sold separate and varying drastically in price. It gets very confusing as to what I actually need for just a decent sounding home theater system.
If you are happy with dts and DD sound ( as opposed to HD audio) these Logitech speakers are great. http://www.logitech.com/en-nz/product/sp...?crid=1588 - that URL is for the NZ site, no doubt they will be cheaper in other parts of the world.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
For $500 the Vizio 5.1 soundbars are perfect for a HTPC setup. That is if your in the US. I have an older Vizio 40" SB4051-C0 in my bedroom which is perfect for my needs and I only spent about $350 on it. The have a newer slimprofile 45" SB4551 soundbar that is going for $500 at places like Bestbuy and for about $399 at Sams Club and Bestbuy will price match them as well.

With it being a soundbar its pretty easy to setup and the rears are wired to the sub and the sub is wireless so no wires running front to back which is a good thing.
Now that sounds interesting for the bedroom...
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
It is perfect for my PS3, movies and tv shows in in the bedroom. Its also paired with a Vizio 47" m470sv and is a perfect combo for my needs. soundbar should handle hd audio formats if the are muxed to pcm via kodi as well.
Logitech Z906 = recommended by me.

I have been using it for a few weeks, and just love it. Sound is great, and the design is great.
I actually have the previous model, I bought it after I saw a review in which the reviewer said his stone deaf neighbour complained after he tested it. Awesome!
@Topken Vizio don't seem to sell anything in NZ. Do you know of anything similar made by anyone else?
Sony has the Sony HT-NT5 but its just the bar and sub and its more expensive and you have to buy the rears seperatly and its only a 4.1 system in the end since the bar is only stereo not 3 channels. Then theres the SO?NOs sytem but all together you are looking at roughly $1800usd for the full 5.1 setup and that can only do DD and NOT DTS since it the bar only has an optical input so 2.1 PCM or 5.1 DD and thats it. So would not recommend it and people are saying the vizio 5. bars sound just as good as the full Sonos package.
I might import a Vizio one.
(2016-06-28, 07:02)Topken Wrote: For $500 the Vizio 5.1 soundbars are perfect for a HTPC setup. That is if your in the US. I have an older Vizio 40" SB4051-C0 in my bedroom which is perfect for my needs and I only spent about $350 on it. The have a newer slimprofile 45" SB4551 soundbar that is going for $500 at places like Bestbuy and for about $399 at Sams Club and Bestbuy will price match them as well.

With it being a soundbar its pretty easy to setup and the rears are wired to the sub and the sub is wireless so no wires running front to back which is a good thing.

i second this. for your price range the vizio soundbar is great. i use it for my video games. the remote is junk but serves its purpose. the sub woofer is wireless and works well.

if you have a lot of optical connections you should buy an optical switcher too.

it will recode DD and DTS. hd audio possibly just PCM
The Vizio soundbars have a singly HDMI input so might need to grab a HDMI switcher as well if you plan to hook multiple things up via HDMI. As I said the bar should handle HD Audio if its muxed to PCM by KODI like the Pi handles it,
As far as soundbar systems those visio ones do look pretty great, but are soundbars definitely the way to go?

I was looking at this home theater in a box system last night (I can get it on newegg for $550 with free shipping)
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-vis...mode=model

Or possibly this one (can pick up at bestbuy 10 miles away for $460)
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-vis...mode=model

Im not sure if its actually worth the extra money over something simple like that visio SB4051 ($350) though.

I mean I don't really need or care about all the fancy stuff like musiccast, or smartcast, or wifi, or bluetooth, or built in pandora and spotify stuff, I have an htpc for that. I just want nice quality sound.
First of all let me confess I'm not an audiophile and those that are may balk at my suggestion,
but at the lower end of the receiver market I can recommend The Denon avr-520bt at $259.
It supports Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital +, Dolby True HD, DTS and DTS-HD.
I really like mine, it replaced an ancient almost decade old unit and even though I reused my old speakers and sub woofer the improvement in sound quality and clarity is very marked.

I have my HTPC, games PC, Fire TV Stick and cable box connected to mine with one HDMI connection to spare and all work wonderfully well with it.

As you quote your budget in $'s I'm guessing you're N American based (sorry if I've offended anyone else who uses a $ sign for their currency) and would assume you could find a reasonably decent speaker package to fit into the rest of your budget to go with it as prices over there seem a lot cheaper than this side of The Atlantic.
The Denon is relatively future proof too accepting HDCP 2.2 connections

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
audio hardware advice0