Request for a new list type view mode
Smile 
I could never complain with the amount of views you guys have already coded, it's insane.

That being said, I'd like to make a request for a multi row, multi column, list with the ability to lock the focus, and have either vertical and horizontal scrolling. (is that all Smile ) with <content> if possible.

like this:

would be ..>rows="3" columns="12" lockfocus="false" (or 17 on this mockup for horizontal scrolling, or 18 for vertical scrolling) scrolldirection="horizontal" time="200"<...

I have tried making this with the current list views, and can come close, but to do it I would have to be able to use 3 list groups, and have the ability to tell each group what position in the list it should jump to in the next group. I can can make one that functions the same as a locked focus mode, but only for left to right, it looks like you could press down, but since it is only in reality 1 row, it functions counter-intuitively, and icons change places like you 've been smoking crack.

You can see what I want to create based upon the mock up, a virtual multi bank of screens, or objects on shelves, there is a great many things we could do with a list view that is that customizable.

I hope you guys consider it.:o
The problem I have with this is it appears to be counter-intuitive in terms of the layout of where items are.

As you've drawn it (it's extremely hard to see btw - I suspect you linked the thumb rather than the image?) you are focused on item 17, and item 16 is above, and item 18 below. Move up (to item 16) and now item 18 is above and 17 is below.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

The way I pictured it was if its side scrolling, then up stops at the top and bottom of the 3 rows, and if it were vertical scrolling it would stop on the sides, and scroll up and down.

Did that make it more clear, sorry that my picture sucks, heres it bigger.
A multi row wrap view?
yes, but still only wrapping in one direction.(well two, ok, 4, but only two at a time, either left & right, or up & down, but never all four) kind of like an icon view, but left and right, and the ability to fix the focus if desired.
do u mean a system like "yoshi's cookie" on the snes!!!

thats what im picturing!!!
So the focus is only fixed in one direction?

i.e. basically a thumbpanel with focus fixed to either a column or a row?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

I think MacGyver means that the focus is fixed in both directions (horizontal/vertical) and always centered in the middle/middle.

...like in Kaleidescape grid view mode without the scrabble http://www.kaleidescape.com/experience/video.html

see this feature request topic thread for more information:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=4390
and this skin development topic thread about Kaleidescape:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=24125
Ok I'll try to clarify,

like the picture, 3 high by 12 across in the "horizontal" mode would let you move about the 3x12 grid, if you moved up to the top, once it hit the top, it would stop or let you jump to another setting element, however moving to the left or right of the grid would shift all icons to the left or right.

If the fixedfocus setting was set, the selected icon would stay put, but moving up or down or left or right the icons would move with the direction "all left" for pressing right, or "all up" for pressing down.

for "vertical" mode of the 3 x 12 grid, press all the way to the left, it will stop at the edge, same for right, but pressing up to the top or down to the bottom, each row would move up/down.

What I purposed was really 3 different options of an "icon view" list view, just picture a couple shelves at the movie store, and moving along side them, or for vertical, picture a whole bunch of shelves in one section, say there were 10 from the floor up to the roof, if you got on a ladder or a lift, and moved up and down to get to higher or lower shelves.

for the fixed focus mode, take a look at the kaliedascape video Gamester linked, where the icons move around a "fixed yellow square"

We should be able to tell it how many high, and how many across, whether or not it's fixed focus, vertical scrolling, or horizontal, .

It should be completely intuitive, I just wasn't explaining it correctly.
The non-fixed panel is therefore just the normal panel we have now.

The problem with the fixed panel is as follows:

1. With less than the number of items viewable in a screen, we need to repeat the items. How we do that is somewhat arbitrary, but probably something like this (assuming a 4x3 panel)

1 2 3 1
2 3[1]2
3 1 2 3

2. You must specify the number of items to show in at least one direction, so that we know when to "wrap" the items to the next row (or column). Consider 25 items in the same 4x3 grid. One option is to have 5 items per row:

1 [2 3 4 5]
6 [7 8 9 A]
B [C D E F]
G H I J K
L M N O P

but equally valid would be to have 6 items per row:

1 [2 3 4 5] 6
7 [8 9 A B] C
D [E F G H] I
J K L M N O
P 1 2 3 4 5

3. Sort order becomes hard to understand. Consider the first grid above, and move so that the 5 has focus (focus item is 3,2)

M [N O P L]
2 [3 4 5 1]
7 [8 9 A 6]
C D E F B
H I J K G

The only way to resurrect sort order is to have items shuffling from one row to the next (which can probably be done without the annoying "shuffle" animation that Gamester17 refers to - items will simply scroll off to the left and scroll back in (next row up from the right, if necessary simulataneously).

A compromise which may be less prone to weird sort order issues would be to fix the focus in one direction only, as I commented above. Thus, the view only scrolls in one direction, and the focus location only moves in the other direction.

Cheers,
Jonathan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74favgjm6fA

this is what im picturing!!!!lol

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Request for a new list type view mode0