Best 4K compatible hardware under $100?
I need a new cheap Kodi device. It must support 4K video, but other than that there's no important requirements. Anyone have a suggestion?

I have a Raspberry Pi Zero with OpenELEC but I think the image quality is pretty bad, so unless it's better on Pi 3 I don't think I want that.
I don't think pi 3 does HEVC, sooo odroid c2, maybe a new wetek product, afaik everything else decent is going to be over $100.
Odroid is probably your best bet or if your willing to tinker you can get a cheap Android Box and install openelec on it.

Box such as the Mini MX, it has an active dev as well as support. How long that will last I cannot say, if you want something with long term support stick with odroid or WeTek
+1 for Mini MX, as long as Alex's OpenELEC builds are used.

Better yet, WeTek Hub... at just around $100, already good under Android. and I expect OpenELEC or LibreELEC as well (yet to test). Has Netflix HD, which other S905 boxes don't. Plus, top-notch support.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Thanks for your replies. WeTek Hub looked interesting, but I need it now, and I don't like to pre-order things unless there's a very specific release date.

I searched for Mini MX and found this for $31: http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_258635.html - that's so ridiculously cheap that I just bought one. It's probably better than the Pi Zero I have today anyway. I can use it for my bedroom TV if it's really poor.

If you have more suggestions, let me know! Doesn't need to be exactly <$100, but not more than $130 at least.
I ordered the Mini MX iii from gearbest, its cheaper for whatever reason yet its the same as the v1 but no 5ghz wifi which I don't need.

I think it's cheaper coz most are getting the v1 for openelec so they raise the price, that and 5ghz.
I bought one of those Chinese piracy boxes because it was relatively cheap and had nice specs. The one I bought is the MXQ-Pro 64 bit Amlogic S905 with Android 5.1. The first thing I did was uninstall their Kodi (it was actually not yet installed because none of the Kodi created files were on the box). I downloaded Kodi Jarvis for Android ARM and did a clean install. It seems to work fine, except I can't get it to let me write my settings backup with Kodi's Backup (xbmc backup) to a mounted external USB. Whenever I try Kodi tells me the backup location may not be writable, and do I want to continue. I've tried but nothing is written. The box only lets me do backups to the internal card. Has anyone seen this? Does anyone have any experience with these boxes?
I have that box to, you should just ditch android and install openelec. First you need to know what version your motherboard is as there are a few revisions. I have the blue v1 board and built my own image for it since it seems no one is maintainingredients it. It actually works well including dts-ma and cec and wifi.

The only issues I have is the box cannot wake up once you turn it off which I hope to fix so I just leave it on instead. The other issue is that it freezes when using the wall/thumbnail view, which is easily avoidable with a different view. I have yet to test but I believe adding a usb stick as a swap could avoid the freezing. It's not elegant but will do the trick for what you pay.
Just get a WeTek Hub with Dual Boot Android / LibreELEC / OpenELEC and comprehensive HD Audio support, not to mention a sprinkling of HD Netflix and other DRM Apps on the side. You do get what you pay for with this top quality WeTek device.

Also worth mentioning, Android Marshmallow 6.0 is here now. And guess who will be testing that OS on a certain S905 device this week Wink
Unsupported Android boxes are going to be left at Android 5.1.1 I expect going forward.

Dirt cheap DIY, yes then the boxes already mentioned. Plug N Play then go with a WeTek Hub.

BTW: The ODROID C2 is the fastest of the LE / OE devices when used with eMMC v5.0 Flash storage.

What are the main advantages with Android Marshmallow on the Hub? (probably should ask this in the Hub thread but you mentioned it here...)
I bought 2 cheap boxes the first one the remote broke and the extra remote just stop working remember you get what you paid for, if I was you I would invest in the Nvidia Shield it's about $180 and it has it all but all you have to is wait for a sale and you'll end up with the second remote free and who knows they might even drop the price down also.

2141jay

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best 4K compatible hardware under $100?0