Hope this is the right board?
I had a question hope this would be the correct thread. But I'm curious as to what's the difference between the nightlies and the alpha builds? Any information would be great. TIA
Nightlies are compiled every day, no matter what state the code is in, ie it might have half fixed bugs, or new bugs may have been introduced in an effort to make something work.

Alphas are produced from what is hoped to be a reasonably stable (but not final) codebase - it is still for testing, but should work after a fashion.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks for the info. I think I'm a try and run this alpha for a daily I extremely like the design plus I really like the video play options mainly the fact it gives you a time for when the movie or show will end lol I know it's the little things that make a difference. Just was a little thrown off that the last update notice was the 1st alpha was to be released on July 1st but then forgot to take in account the time and day difference between countries, we'll at least I think that played a part in why I see it available on the 30th lol
Alphas were supposed to be a monthly build snapshot, where they may or may not be more stable than nightly builds.

The idea was based around a "merge window" cycle, where new features were added for part of the month, then the rest of the month was dedicated to just fixes and no new features. Then, in theory, the build at the end of that month cycle would be more stable than the average nightly build.

Sometimes alphas are delayed because it was known that they were unstable, but alpha 1 and 2 for Kodi v17 were quite usable (at least, for early alphas of a new version, which is always to be expected). I guess they were never built/announced? Not that it matters very much, but they are mysteriously absent. Oh well, Kodi v17 Alpha 3 looks like it will be out in about two days.

See also: Development builds (wiki)
Alpha 1 had some major bug on some platform or other, and Martijn was on vacation during alpha 2 and we did a terrible job of picking up the slack. 3 should be fun. Smile
(2016-07-01, 00:41)djb719 Wrote: I had a question hope this would be the correct thread. But I'm curious as to what's the difference between the nightlies and the alpha builds?
These are standard termology for the different development phases in a software release life-cycle, read wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_r...life_cycle

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_build

Nightly builds and also commonly refered to as "daily build" as produced once each day.

This terminology should be considered general knowledge to all interested in bleeding-edge technology.
RockerC I think so it's a great set up, really can't wait untill the finial product
Support request split off into its own thread in the correct forum for those.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hope this is the right board?0