Issues with OSD due to Vertical Blank Sync setting
Hi,
A few months ago I started using Kodi (migrating from many years of using Mediaportal :-)).
I'm running Jarvis (Titan Skin) on a Windows 10 PC, using Intel HD Graphics.
Video output is via VGA to my TV and via HDMI to my receiver. Only one of the 2 outputs is active at anytime (I use VGA connected directly to the TV for watching Live TV and HDMI connected through my receiver for watching other content).

Although I'm quite tech savvy, it took me a while to configure and "stabilize" Kodi, mostly dealing with issues around the adjustment of the refresh rate and issues of screen tearing. I finally did so (or so I thought...).

My current issue is that the OSD does not display properly. When I press the menu button, it display for a fraction of a second and disappears. Furthermore, the menu does not always disappear automatically after a few seconds when I perform actions like changing a channel or pause/playback. After some thorough investigation I understood that it's related to the "Vertical blank sync" setting which I enabled for Video playback.
If Vertical Blank sync is switched off then the OSD problem is solved however I cannot turn it off as it causes screen tearing if it's off.

Any idea on a solution that would allow the OSD to function properly while keeping my Video settings intact?

Thanks.
Anyone??
Has no one else come across this problem??
Have you tried running in software mode see if that fixes things? then you could go from there?
(2016-08-20, 13:03)Derek Wrote: Have you tried running in software mode see if that fixes things? then you could go from there?
I'm not familiar with SW mode. Can you elaborate?
I think Derek is eluding to some sort of graphic issue, and suggest you use software rendering (worth a try). Looking at first post, I doubt there's many with your circumstances, let alone a solve. The VGA is an analog signal and the one that I presume does the screen tearing, and you have found some sort of work-round, but that causes the menu button to display for a fraction of a second and disappears? This is really hardware specific, and not sure there is a software solve other than video drivers.

Your TV does not have an HDMI input?

There's a remote possibility, that the issue is key bounce related to the hardware remote. In standalone local mode the backspace or escape key will bring down the control OSD, perhaps changing the keymap of your remote to reflect this might be another work-round.
PatK hi,
I do use software rendering. My current "stable" configuration is after a lot of fine tuning of the configuration around rendering, refresh rate and basically anything related to video output.
I'd like to clarify - I use both VGA and HDMI. My HTPC has only one output of each so I use HDMI to output through the receiver while I use the VGA to output to the TV directly for those cases where I don't want/need the receiver (watching live TV broadcast).

The problem I'm referring to is applicable for BOTH outputs.
When I output through HDMI (to my receiver and from there pass-through to my TV) I have screen tearing if I disable vertical blank sync.

Could you elaborate as to your suggested key bounce related workaround?

Furthermore, if the clarifications I provided here trigger any new suggestion for a possible solution, I'd be eager to hear.
Thanks.
PatK, Anybody?
Not much I can add, from I already have written in the previous posts, looking back at the first message, and thinking button bounce, it might be possible to tweak this timing in the o/s (https://mcmw.abilitynet.org.uk/windows-7...-settings/) but I doubt very much this will help. It's more an issue of the intrinsic nature of that graphic set-up, and to resolve you will need more than just tweaks and you have clearly exhausted most of the user settings.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Issues with OSD due to Vertical Blank Sync setting0