Nvidia Shield SMB shares laggy on network
So I've been using Kodi since the original Xbox days and up until recently, side loaded on the Amazon Fire which was overall pretty good for the most part.

As I'm finding supposed 4K video files to be a little overwhelming for the poor old Fire, I picked up a Shield on the recommendation of a colleague who uses his with Kodi and external USB storage flawlessly.

So I set up Kodi from the Play Store (which way too easy!) and proceeded to set up my SMB shared folders on my NAS.

Regardless of media type, navigating my shared folders is extremely slow and when I try backing out to the root of the folder, the system lags for up to 4 minutes.

As this issue doesn't persist on my Fire or any other Android device, it's obviously an issue with the shield. I'm at a complete loss, I've factory resettled the device and even gone so far as side loading with the latest apk from the Kodi site.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
If your NAS can offer NFS then use that, it uses far less overhead than SMB, so it's faster. Many have had similar issues and switching to NFS fixes the issue.
If NFS isn't an option, the Shield has a new trick that might help. The Shield can mount SMB shares as local Android location, which might help if the issue is with Kodi's SAMBA client. You just add your SMB server in the Shield/Android storage settings, then in Kodi I believe the SMB server looks like a local disk when you add a source (I can't test at the moment, as I'm away from my Shield and the update for this feature happened recently).

NFS is still your best option, though. It will improve performance when sharing files between non-Windows systems in general.
Thanks guys, I appreciate the suggestions. My nas supports both cifs and nfs so I'll give both a try and report when I'm back next weekend.
(2016-07-03, 08:29)Ned Scott Wrote: If NFS isn't an option, the Shield has a new trick that might help. The Shield can mount SMB shares as local Android location, which might help if the issue is with Kodi's SAMBA client. You just add your SMB server in the Shield/Android storage settings, then in Kodi I believe the SMB server looks like a local disk when you add a source (I can't test at the moment, as I'm away from my Shield and the update for this feature happened recently).

NFS is still your best option, though. It will improve performance when sharing files between non-Windows systems in general.

Except I would not recommend that since the Shield or Kodi will not be able to write to you mounted NAS.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Are you sure about that? At the very least, Android/Shield should have no problem writing to them.
Try installing SPMC instead of Kod?. It's made specifically for Android.

I'm using SPMC with this: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/...a-reviewed

And it works great!
Hi everyone. Really appreciate everyone's suggestions.

In the end, moving to NFS solved the problem.

SPMC had the exact same issues.

I did not try mounting the SMB shares directly on the Shield.
(2016-07-03, 15:58)Ned Scott Wrote: Are you sure about that? At the very least, Android/Shield should have no problem writing to them.

Not as a mounted drive. If you treated just as a network drive over SMB then it's fine, but not if you mount it and add it as a local drive in Kodi. It's an Android limitation since the drive is being treated as a local drive.

It's even more limited than using attached drive since you don't even appear to have write access to the app folder on the drive.

EDIT: Even Total Commander, which can gain full read/write/delete access to attached non-adopted drives can do that on mounted NASs.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2016-07-04, 04:11)NeoDuck Wrote: Try installing SPMC instead of Kod?. It's made specifically for Android.

And it works great!
(2016-07-04, 04:11)NeoDuck Wrote: Try installing SPMC instead of Kod?. It's made specifically for Android.

And it works great!

Hi.. I hv installed spmc and i hv a bose home theatre and still hv lack and cracked audio when it comes to dolby digital. Any suggestions pls
(2016-07-11, 21:57)Simontikku Wrote: Hi.. I hv installed spmc and i hv a bose home theatre and still hv lack and cracked audio when it comes to dolby digital. Any suggestions pls

I suggest you post in the correct thread with specific details on exact hardware and media.

Any of these three would be better than this thread which has NOTHING to do with your problem:

SPMC (Kodi spinoff) - v16

NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)

Android - Nvidia Shield Android TV
(2016-07-10, 22:18)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2016-07-03, 15:58)Ned Scott Wrote: Are you sure about that? At the very least, Android/Shield should have no problem writing to them.

Not as a mounted drive. If you treated just as a network drive over SMB then it's fine, but not if you mount it and add it as a local drive in Kodi. It's an Android limitation since the drive is being treated as a local drive.

It's even more limited than using attached drive since you don't even appear to have write access to the app folder on the drive.

EDIT: Even Total Commander, which can gain full read/write/delete access to attached non-adopted drives can do that on mounted NASs.

Total bummer. Trying to sync my RetroArch saves and save states with a mounted share from Windows or LibreELEC and it won't write, only read. (RetroArch doesn't support smb natively.) I thought I could with the 3.2 update since they advertise the ability to record media to a network share with Plex....or am I missing something?
With Plex, yes (-ish). With Kodi, not so much. It might be possible. I recall reading a large thread about this on the Nvidia forums, and I think Tinwarble was the one who thought of the idea. It might be possible for Kodi to request access in the same way that programs like ES File Explorer do. I'm not sure if that's still a possibility or something that has turned out to be a dead end, or what.
Apologies, but what do you mean by Yes (ish)? Is that to say that Plex can not write to a mounted share through Nvidia's implementation?

All this makes me appreciate KODI's samba that much more.

For the life of me I can't seem to find the thread on the Shield forums that discusses this, anyone have a link?

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia Shield SMB shares laggy on network0