Solved The Kodi wiki is dying
I started to write this as a reply to the v17 FAQ thread, but it really needs to be addressed on its own.

(2016-07-03, 07:50)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2016-07-03, 01:23)Ned Scott Wrote: Most likely, yeah, two screenshots. I'm hoping there's a nice way to just toggle the screenshot, so two don't have to be displayed at the same time.

I found a wiki extension that will do exactly this, but once again, our version of mediawiki is too old. It would be so much easier to do pretty much anything wiki related if things were updated.

I looked into an older version of this extension, Tabber, that would work on our version of MediaWiki (1.19), but apparently there's a very good reason to not use the old version:

Quote:This extension contains an XSS vulnerability that can lead to user accounts being hijacked and full user personal information being compromised, and depeding on the setup of the wiki, full server compromise.

So that's out the window for now, but it makes me more worried about the current Kodi wiki install. Both security and making the wiki easier to use (for everyone who contributes to it) are forever stopped in time. I don't mean to be demanding, but our current wiki is a ticking time bomb. I'd assume everything running on the old SRV1 server is the same way. This gets more serious every year.

I understand that there are other things also waiting to be updated, like the forum and trac, but updating mediawiki is far easier to do. It's basically no different than a fresh install on the new server, as I already know how to migrate the existing wiki databases over. Is there any chance of this happening in the near future? At least in 2016?
Marking as solved. Team Kodi has informed me that they are looking at professional wiki hosting, which means that someone will always be making sure the server is up to date and everything! I'm very excited about this :)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The Kodi wiki is dying3