OS X Mac Mini
Hi All,

I am thinking of purchasing a Mac Mini from Powermax:
Used Mac Mini

I am hoping the these Core 2 duo models will have enough compute power to run Kodi.

Is anyone using a Mac Mini for this purpose and if so, what do you think?
Intel NUC DN2828FYKH vH22962-101 - OpenElec
Kingston SSDNow V300 60GB SSD 2.5"
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz Low voltage DDR3 RAM
NAS Storage: Shared central storage - QNAP TS-439 NAS RAID 5 - (4 x 3TB WD Red Drives)
TV: Samsung Series 8 Plasma 58" PS58B850
Remotes: Logitech Harmony 1100i and K400r Keyboard
HiFi Amp: Pioneer VSX-1021
HiFi Speakers: Pioneer FS51PACK
At that price you are better with an nvidia shield

Sent from my XT1254
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
I would not touch a core2 version of the MacMini, look for the next gen i7 versions if you really want an OSX box.
core2 versions are too old, and 10.6 at best and a real pain in the rear to get into.
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
These are Core 2 Duo's, which are not bad. I'm still running my MBP 2009 with a Core 2 Duo as my main machine.

I wouldn't get one for Kodi, though. Certainly not at that price. Grab a Celeron Chromebox for less than $150 and throw LibreELEC on it.
First of all, GMA950 is limited to fullscale RGB, and only sofware decoding. But they will decode 1080p24 just fine, although the fan may be a bit noisy. If you are using a HDTV, go to system settings and sett Kodi video output to limited to get the right colors and blacklevels. 'i'd prefer a Chromebox though. I have 2 of these old macs just lying in a drawer. The chromebox is a much better solution.
Unless you are using a modern Mac Mini for OSX desktop duties as well, then they are overpriced as a Kodi media player. You get no 23.976/29.97/59.94fps proper video sync for smooth video playback when using Kodi running on OSX either. It's an OSX limitation. No HD audio passthrough as well, but that can at least be decoded to lossless Multichannel.

As suggested a Chromebox for 8bit video playback is a far better option or even a nicely integrated WeTeK Hub - that device will move you into the 10bit HEVC hardware decoding space and 4K. Both have excellent HD audio support. Run LibreELEC on them.

I used a 2010 Mac Mini as my main machine for years, and then switched to an ASUS Chromebox with Openelec (now Libreelec). It's a much much better box, I would not do this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mac Mini0