RasPi Kodi and any PVR
Looked at the FAQs without directly resolving my question.

CURRENT Situation:

Have an NVIDIA Shield on my main TV running Kodi. Just the smaller 16Gig not the Pro version.

Just got a new "Smart TV" for the bedroom that of course is not smart enough to easily install KODI [but I knew that when I purchased it]

My Win 7 laptop doing double duty as a WMC/ServerWMC is dying and I would like a low power [energy wise] RasPi solution if possible. If not then 2 RasPis are not out of the question.

My recording requirements ONLY include OTA channels via a 2 tuner HD Homerun Extend.
========================================================================================================

QUESTIONS:

I would like to have the RasPi run both a normal KODI client, a PVR backend feeding my Western Digital NAS that both TVs could access but I would NEVER run the recording feature of the RasPi while watching the bedroom TV. It is just how I watch TV so the RasPi would not have to do double duty on the new TV.

I understand the scheduler might be running in the background, but none of the heavy lifting of recording would be taking place.

No need for any transcoding on the fly as I don't tend to keep a large number of recordings so file size is not a huge issue.

First, is this feasible?

Second, and I know everyone has their favorite, but what is the easiest PVR backend to set up by someone who is a good programmer EXCEPT when it comes to Linux?

Third, is a fully compiled NOOB type software available to load on a SD that contains both the OS and Kodi and the backend software.
OSMC allows for easily installing tvheadend from the included MyOSMC add-on.
LibreELEC OS is another good choice to instal on Rpi for use with Tvheadend backend and frontend.
Working well for me Wink
RPi4, (LibreELEC 11.0) hdmi0 -> Philips 55PUS7304 4K TV, hdmi1 -> Onkyo TX-SR608 AV Receiver
I have a spare dedicated RPi setup as a tvheadend server. This is connected to the network, has a potable hdd connected to it and sits in my garage in the server rack quietly chugging away. This servs TV to all the htpc's in the house running Libreelec. I have ssh working on it as well as VNC so I can remote control it if I need to.

As for software:
Libreelec is the better option as it's extremely light weight and will be better for a tvserver.
Tvheadend is the best backend, once installed you just type in a Web browser the ip of the server eg: 10.0.0.50:9981 and start configuration. TVHEADEND is all configured from a Web UI so it's easy peasy.

You can also run tvheadend and kodi on the same machine as long as it's a RPi 3 as older RPi's would become sluggish acting as a backend and frontend in one.

Hope this helps.
Thanks to the brain trust off ActionA, MikeKL, loggio.

Loggio I have had a RPi 3 on order for a few days.

So I gather from these responses the dual use Client and Backend are doable especially if not done simultaniously.

Is there a NOOB type of software to download which contains everything OS/Kodi Client/Backend for the RPi 3/
No need for noobs

Just download libreelec and install it to an sd card. From there, go to the libreelec addons repo and download the HD Homerun drivers and the TVHeadend 4.2 service and you should be good to go.
Thanks loggio, while I am a very experienced Assembly programmer on 8 core true multitasking micros, I have found myself incapable of implementing the cryptic [IMO] command line strings required by Linux, but practice, practice, practice, I'll try to get this right.

I tend to find most instructions on loading, installing, configuring, software on Linux to be like the old joke about bomb disposal. Cut the RED wire............but not before cutting the BLUE wire.

Seems a critical element is always assumed and left out of step by step instructions. I'll get it, one way or the other.

Thanks again.
Update: Got the RPI today and the install of LibreElec was a breeze. Thanks guys.

Got KODI configured, minus PVR exactly how I want it.

I have the HD Homerun addon running and it works but a lot of freezes which is my WiFi I am sure and within a week or so this will be hardwired Ethernet.

Got to the TV Headend/Backend web page and that is where things slowed down a bit but I'll work through it. May be back for some help though.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RasPi Kodi and any PVR0