How HiFi is XBMC for Xbox audio-output?
SleepyP Wrote:I don't understand how you would seem to know so much and have such snobby equipment, and yet do something retarded like compare MP3 sound quality to CD sound quality. This not comparing XBMC's post processing or the DACs in the Xbox to your CD player DACs in a fair apples-to-apples contest. Compare a CD with good source material through the same monitoring system in the same environment with the only variable being the Xbox and the CD player, and then report back your findings on how much you think the Xbox DAC effects sound quality. That will in turn help you determine if an external DAC is a waste of money in this context.

The comparison I was describing was using PCM wav against my CD player, not MP3 (should of made that more clear), and I've hardly professed to "knowing so much" - you asked me for description so I gave you one. And as for "snobby" equipment I find that a bit insulting, my setup is pretty mid range as far as hifi goes but I have no intention of replacing it. It's not like I've spent £1,500 on a mains conditioner or some over rubbish like that, that's snobbery my friend!
no the sound can change anyway.. have used 3 diffrent dvds and cd players to my external 'dac and the sound isnt the same.. diffrent digital outputs circuts etc.. no i use my xbox and its not great but ok Smile
but for a ordenery user that dont have a sterio for about 24000 2 channel i dont think u here any diffrence Smile
Interesting thread.

I play FLAC audio files through the XBMC via an optical digital out to a Sony ES Surround Sound capable receiver/amplifier. I have digital output on and "output to all speaker" on.

These settings trigger the "blue" light that indicates multi-channel signal detected to appear on the Sony receiver.

After reading this thread I did some A-B testing with the "output to all speakers" setting on and off.

Test CD was the LAGQ's latest CD Brazil.

Results - the "output to all speakers" setting produced a spacial illusion of surround sound with certain instruments seeming to come out of specific speakers.

Also, I normalized the volume with a SPL meter. And, there was a 12 increment difference between the two settings. The "output to all speakers" on was played at a -40db setting on the Sony receiver. To produce the same 75db setting on the SPL meter, the "output to all speakers" off test needed to be dialed "up" to -28.

The sound quality, clarity, depth and texture appeared to be very similar once volumes were normalized.

But...the "output to all speakers" off setting did not produce the illusion of multi-channel.

Thought I'd share my experience.

Clearsong
all "output to all channels" does is:

Mirror L and R channels in rear channels (Left > Rear Left etc) + mix L and R channel together into Center channel, slightly attenuated if memory serves
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks for the input Clearsong. I have bought an hooked up an old Cambridge Audio DacMagic 2 to my XBOX and I'm really impressed with the sound! Punchier midrange and more reach on bass/treble, it rivals my Rotel player which is pretty impressive considering the price differance. If anyone uses their XBOX as a dedicated music player, I recommend hooking up a DAC with some decent interconnects it really makes a differance.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How HiFi is XBMC for Xbox audio-output?0