Who wants Open Hardware DTV receiver ?
(2016-07-11, 13:22)noggin Wrote: UK market still quite strong for DVB-T2 tuners - we have 6 DVB-T (5 national and 1 local depending on where you live) and 3 DVB-T2 muxes - with almost nothing encrypted (so no CAM issues), and similarly DVB-S/S2 for Freesat (again no encryption) is also pretty good.

Can't tell for the UK unfortunately as I never go there but good to know =).
The reason I never go there, well... I'm into engineering and they seem to have a bit of a different opinion about the metric system over there Tongue.
Let's say my company has agreed to disagree about it Tongue.
(2016-07-08, 11:45)noggin Wrote: I'm not sure I see the point of combined DVB-S/S2 and DVB-T/T2/C tuners with a single antenna/aerial/Dish LNB feed for an external tuner.

I could see the point if there were two inputs you switched between in software - but I can't see myself physically disconnecting a rooftop aerial/antenna and then connecting an LNB satellite feed manually, or vice versa. I would have a single set-up that is configured and left - either a DVB-S/S2 tuner OR a DVB-T/T2/C tuner with permanent connections to their respective antennae.
Sorry but I believe that you have completely misunderstood the point with this, as the point is not at all for you to switch antenna on a day-to-day basis. With this you only use one method of receiving depending on the location you are at. As in, you either connect it to antenna for aerial/terrestrial, cable, or satellite, and then you would normally just permanently leave it connected to only that as long as you are at that location.

The benefit on the end-user side it that you can continue to use the same device it even if you ever someday switch from aerial/terrestrial to cable or satellite, or vice versa. Or you could carry it with you if you travel or move, (like having a mobile phone that works in all countries.

As I see it, the main benefits will however not be on the side of the end-users but instead on the side of the manufacturer and resellers, as well as on the side of software developers and testers. Manufacturer and resellers only have to stock as sell a single device, but most importantly all developers and testers across the world only have to develop for and test a single device. PVR/DVR software developers for PC otherwise similar issues to that of game developers for PC when comparing to developers of PVR/DVR software for set-top boxes and game developers for video game-consoles.

Imagine just use useful this would be as a reference hardware for testing purposes, where a developer/testers in the in one part of the world can develop and test the same device as end-users and other developer/testers use in a other part of the world. It it easier for everyone incolved here if they have a common platform that they can reference and regression test against.
(2016-07-11, 16:08)Woppie Wrote:
(2016-07-11, 13:22)noggin Wrote: UK market still quite strong for DVB-T2 tuners - we have 6 DVB-T (5 national and 1 local depending on where you live) and 3 DVB-T2 muxes - with almost nothing encrypted (so no CAM issues), and similarly DVB-S/S2 for Freesat (again no encryption) is also pretty good.

The reason I never go there, well... I'm into engineering and they seem to have a bit of a different opinion about the metric system over there Tongue.

Ah - do you still like inches, pounds and fahrenheit? We moved over to the side of sanity decades ago - metres, kilograms and Celsius were all I learned at school 30 years ago... (I drive in miles and drink pints of course...)
(2016-07-11, 23:26)noggin Wrote:
(2016-07-11, 16:08)Woppie Wrote:

Ah - do you still like inches, pounds and fahrenheit? We moved over to the side of sanity decades ago - metres, kilograms and Celsius were all I learned at school 30 years ago... (I drive in miles and drink pints of course...)

Quite the other way around, they wanted us to use inches and hell I know what more.
Well often we have to engineer within an existing situation instead of going all new... and that's ok but we like to communicate in the metric system and, well, they liked their inches.
So I haven't been sent to the UK yet, each time the talks fail and if I'm to believe my superiors it's about that... didn't think it was so bad.

Anyways this is hugely offtopic Tongue
> Suggest that you offer to donate free TV-tuners to a majority of core developers and testers from the Tvheadend, VDR, MythTV. MediaPortal,
> and SageTV communities. And maybe also to developers from projects that also showcase tuners, like Kodi, LibreELEC, and OpenELEC.
yes, this is good idea, thanks ! I will do this.

> +1 I too would pay more money to get a dual-tuner. This so that I can watch one channel and record a other channel at the same time, or record
> two channels at the same time.
yes, i will investigate this later when current project will be done.
(2016-07-11, 12:12)Woppie Wrote: It's still a nice device though, just it makes little sense anymore except if you're traveling and I've always found wherever I go within Europe I can find me a tv, either in the lobby of a hotel, at my room or at a friends place. So I have to pass on for tons of reasons.

thanks for feedback !
I'm personally traveling a lot around the world (half year in Russia, half year in USA ... little time in Brazil and Hongkong). And I'm able to watch TV on my laptop/tablet. This is why I'm developing this gadget. And I have a lot of friends doing the same (a lot of Russian people go on winter to "south").

Also, I have friend traveling to different countries for news (he is journalist). Local TV is a good source of news ! Smile Especially if some 'world class' events happens in this country (sport, music, etc).
(2016-07-11, 13:50)tr4shcr4ft Wrote: i hope for two things:
1. a cost down version without cam
2. driver will run on mips architecture
Wink

1. CAM is not big deal. CI slot cost about $1.5. And some 'latches' and passive elements for about $2-4. Other work done inside FPGA.
But price can go down if i achieve bigger quantity. It may drop twice ... depends on quantity.

2. should work I think. do you use any dvb adapter on mips currently ?
(2016-07-06, 15:38)aospan Wrote: Please, donate $1-20 or pre-order for $70 on my indiegogo campaign located here:
https://igg.me/at/jokertv/x
@aospan, I will offer some more advice, wanted or not: That is, you seriously right now need to go hire either a professional film-maker as well as an native speaking English American or British actor and get them to make you a new promo video for your Indiegogo campaign. I would think that most people will be resident to back your campaign when it looks like you through together your video and campaign text in less than a day. People need to be able to trust you and your company before buying your product, and first impressions is everything.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/joker-...erywhere#/
http://www.indiegogo.com/individuals/13456336

You must understand that you will lose out on a lot of backers / sales if you do not replace that video with something that looks and sound much more professional. Having an better filmed video with a native speaking English American or British actor should instantly make your company and your product much more professional.

If you are on a budget then consider hiring a film-student instead (as well as a native speaking English actor), that should not cost you that much if you find a film-student that want to get experience, and its money that you will get back with increased sales a better video will get you. Just use a website that crowdsource jobs to find a professional film-maker or film-student (with good references) in England or the United States, give them the script and outsource the job to hire an actor to them. Checkout for example: http://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/l...task-sites

This video that you have currently posted makes a very unprofessional first impression.

You should also really get a better website too as soon as possible, again your current one is look really unprofessional. You should have been able to put together a better website with WordPress in just a few hours.

http://jokersys.com

I think that this is all really obvious and you should really have dealt with these issues BEFORE posting your campaign on Indiegogo, (and I believe that is main difference with Indiegogo and Kickstarter, as Kickstarter will give you better advice on does and don’t before you go public with your campaign, and thus help you make a better first impression. Kickstarter will help you to not screw up like this).

PS: It is ironic but not funny to call your product "Joker TV" and have the campaign video look like a joke. I say this not to critic but as someone who hopes your campaign could improve a lot if you. However it might just be too late for this campaign, and you might have re-post your campaign again after you replaced your video and website. I’m sorry but I for one will not back your campaign with the current state of your video, campaign text, and your company website.
(2016-07-12, 16:59)RockerC Wrote:
(2016-07-06, 15:38)aospan Wrote: Please, donate $1-20 or pre-order for $70 on my indiegogo campaign located here:
https://igg.me/at/jokertv/x
@aospan, I will offer some more advice, wanted or not: That is, you seriously right now need to go hire either a professional film-maker as well as an native speaking English American or British actor and get them to make you a new promo video for your Indiegogo campaign. I would think that most people will be resident to back your campaign when it looks like you through together your video and campaign text in less than a day. People need to be able to trust you and your company before buying your product, and first impressions is everything.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/joker-...erywhere#/
http://www.indiegogo.com/individuals/13456336

You must understand that you will lose out on a lot of backers / sales if you do not replace that video with something that looks and sound much more professional. Having an better filmed video with a native speaking English American or British actor should instantly make your company and your product much more professional.

If you are on a budget then consider hiring a film-student instead (as well as a native speaking English actor), that should not cost you that much if you find a film-student that want to get experience, and its money that you will get back with increased sales a better video will get you. Just use a website that crowdsource jobs to find a professional film-maker or film-student (with good references) in England or the United States, give them the script and outsource the job to hire an actor to them. Checkout for example: http://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/l...task-sites

This video that you have currently posted makes a very unprofessional first impression.

You should also really get a better website too as soon as possible, again your current one is look really unprofessional. You should have been able to put together a better website with WordPress in just a few hours.

http://jokersys.com

I think that this is all really obvious and you should really have dealt with these issues BEFORE posting your campaign on Indiegogo, (and I believe that is main difference with Indiegogo and Kickstarter, as Kickstarter will give you better advice on does and don’t before you go public with your campaign, and thus help you make a better first impression. Kickstarter will help you to not screw up like this).

PS: It is ironic but not funny to call your product "Joker TV" and have the campaign video look like a joke. I say this not to critic but as someone who hopes your campaign could improve a lot if you. However it might just be too late for this campaign, and you might have re-post your campaign again after you replaced your video and website. I’m sorry but I for one will not back your campaign with the current state of your video, campaign text, and your company website.

Nice critic, thanks ! I'm working on new video and web site now !
(2016-07-12, 02:18)Woppie Wrote:
(2016-07-11, 23:26)noggin Wrote:
(2016-07-11, 16:08)Woppie Wrote: Can't tell for the UK unfortunately as I never go there but good to know =).

Quite the other way around, they wanted us to use inches and hell I know what more.
Well often we have to engineer within an existing situation instead of going all new... and that's ok but we like to communicate in the metric system and, well, they liked their inches.
So I haven't been sent to the UK yet, each time the talks fail and if I'm to believe my superiors it's about that... didn't think it was so bad.

Anyways this is hugely offtopic Tongue

No idea when this was - but the UK has been metric commercially for decades. Inches and Pounds are only used domestically (thank goodness). I went to school in the 70s and 80s and was only taught metric units, and my university engineering degree was entirely "mks" - as was my commercial engineering experience.

We do have exceptions (miles for distance signs and miles per hour for speed limits, but we buy fuel in litres - which means fuel economy calculations are fun, and we still drink beer in pints) - but we're basically a metric country with a few imperial throw backs...

We certainly don't sell stuff in inches and feet - apart from clothes (where we measure waist, leg and chest in inches) and a few other odd things.
(2016-07-11, 16:31)RockerC Wrote:
(2016-07-08, 11:45)noggin Wrote: I'm not sure I see the point of combined DVB-S/S2 and DVB-T/T2/C tuners with a single antenna/aerial/Dish LNB feed for an external tuner.

I could see the point if there were two inputs you switched between in software - but I can't see myself physically disconnecting a rooftop aerial/antenna and then connecting an LNB satellite feed manually, or vice versa. I would have a single set-up that is configured and left - either a DVB-S/S2 tuner OR a DVB-T/T2/C tuner with permanent connections to their respective antennae.
Sorry but I believe that you have completely misunderstood the point with this, as the point is not at all for you to switch antenna on a day-to-day basis. With this you only use one method of receiving depending on the location you are at. As in, you either connect it to antenna for aerial/terrestrial, cable, or satellite, and then you would normally just permanently leave it connected to only that as long as you are at that location.
No - just don't see the need for it. If I have a rooftop aerial I buy a DVB-T/T2 dongle, if I have a dish I buy a DVB-S/S2 dongle. I'm unlikely to switch between the two unless I decide to change my signal source or move house.

Quote:The benefit on the end-user side it that you can continue to use the dame device it even if you ever someday switch from aerial/terrestrial to cable or satellite, or vice versa.

Yep - but this is quite rare isn't it? I guess if you move house a lot you might need it - or if you are in short term accommodation, like a student?

Quote:Or you could carry it with you if you travel or move, (like having a mobile phone that works in all countries.

Yep - I always carry a DVB-T/T2 tuner when in European hotels, but have never needed DVB-S/S2 or DVB-C in this situation.

Quote:As I see it, the main benefits will however not be on the end-users but on the side of the manufacturer and resellers, as well as software developers. Manufacturer and resellers only have to stock as sell a single device , but most importantly all developers only have to develop for a single device.

Yep - if you can sell a single SKU as a re-seller that makes sense - just a single stock. If there is no cost increase. But presumably LNB power needs to come from an external PSU - whereas DVB-T/T2/C can be USB bus-powered, so you have a cost (and shipping) increase from needing to bundle a mains PSU (which isn't needed for DVB-T/T2/C duties)?

Quote:Imagine just use useful this would be as a reference hardware for testing purposes, where a developer/testers in the in one part of the world can develop and test the same device as end-users and other developer/testers use in a other part of the world.

Yes - though two dongles aren't a major cost are they ? €25 for a DVB-T/T2/C and €70 for a DVB-S/S2 USB receiver?

If you can deliver a DVB-S/S2/T/T2/C/ATSC/ISDB-T dongle for <€70 then I'd definitely be interested though - ATSC/ISDB-T is interesting (though AIUI not much use in Japan where all ISDB-T is BCAS scrambled?)
(2016-07-12, 14:53)aospan Wrote: 2. should work I think. do you use any dvb adapter on mips currently ?
i tried with mygica t230 but it kernel panics due to alignment mismatch (mips has differend dword size or so)
so i stick with arm for the moment, but its kinda overkill - a rt530 dongle could do this job

(2016-07-13, 00:31)noggin Wrote: But presumably LNB power needs to come from an external PSU
5V->12V step-up converter
@aospan

Hi, I want the CXD2868ER + CXD2857ER combination product.

通过我的 m1 note 上的 Tapatalk发言
(2016-10-13, 10:46)6hzzz Wrote: @aospan

Hi, I want the CXD2868ER + CXD2857ER combination product.

通过我的 m1 note 上的 Tapatalk发言

Hello,

you can make pre-order on http://tv.jokersys.com

thanks !

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Who wants Open Hardware DTV receiver ?1