Need Kodi Alternative Recomendation
Since Kodi can no longer play .AVI files without erroring:

Error: Exception caught on main loop.exiting

I need an alternative. 30% of my library are .AVI files I need something to play these. I've tried it on 3 different computers and they all error out. Even some of the video addons error. So this pretty much shoots KODI down. Not sure why nobody is trying to resolve this. I can't be the only one. I considered re-encoding my library to .MKV files but that seems like over kill.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Hardware?

Operating System?

Kodi Version?
Windows 10
AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series (although the other PC's have different display adapters, all Nvidia/Ati though).
Kodi 16.1

I know .AVI files worked previously. I don't know when it got broken. I have disabled hardware acceleration under system settings and it made no difference.
The simplest thing you could do as a start would be to Back up, uninstall your current Kodi, reinstall from the Kodi download site and Restore.

At least then any corruption of the Kodi system would be eliminated.
Nothing has changed to stop kodi loading ANY local media.
You have another issue, most probably outside of kodi.

If you provide logs you may be offered some help, but coming here as you have done will not get you far.
debug logs (wiki)
Merely commenting that avi is a container - so you don't "re-encode" to mkv, you simply process it into a different container. In other words, it's very quick, and there's no loss in quality in the process. A batch script and ffmpeg and you'd be away.

That said, there's something wrong with your files most likely (content or wrapper), so post a sample or grab a log and let's take a look.
I think I figured it out. Under System>Video>Acceleration, the setting for Render Method was blank. Nothing. I switched it to Auto or DXVA and it's now working. Funny thing is that it was like this on all my PCs.
That's weird though... I have no issue with AVI.... it even plays flv... unchecked options happen

Sent from my SM-N920P

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need Kodi Alternative Recomendation0