Can't transfer files to Pi
Hey guys, just unboxed my Pi today, I'm building a portable media center for my dad, so I'm loading it up with Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, and some of his other favorites. It'd also be really cool to figure out how to get Youtube on it, live stream the NASCAR races, and make it run on a battery, but one hurdle at a time...

I am fine with the hardware stuff but totally clueless with software and electronics (this is why I'm a mechanical engineer Big Grin). I installed Kodi and got the music on WD's Pi drive fine. Now I'm trying to put in some add-ons, like for some reason it's not a native option to switch audio output from HDMI to the audio jack... so I think I found an add-on to do that. But now I have to figure out how to get it on the Pi. I thought to put it on the SD card physically but it's kind of stupid to have to turn off the Pi and manually add stuff, and I remembered I used something years and years ago to transfer files to my jailbroken iPod but that was so long ago, I don't remember how to do any of that. So I did some research and now I'm trying to use Filezilla to transfer the zip on the Pi, but it won't let me connect. I've never used Filezilla before, I just want to connect to the Pi and add files. I'm looking all over the web trying all sorts of things and nothing works.

I keep getting:

Error: Authentication failed.
Error: Critical error: Could not connect to server

I put in the default user (pi) and password (raspberry). I put in port 22. I used the right IP address. I'm doing SFTP. I don't know what else is wrong. Do I have to do something to the Pi? I wish this wasn't so counter intuitive. This is the tutorial I'm using, maybe this guy is off his rocker, but I've followed his steps to a T http://michaeltunnell.com/blog/23-xbmc/4...-filezilla

Thanks for helping a noob out!

-Pete
How did you install kodi on the pi?

Sent from my SM-T210
(2016-07-10, 01:18)ActionA Wrote: How did you install kodi on the pi?

I turned on the Pi and installed LibraryElec as the OS
user=root, password=libreelec

There are lots of ways to transfer files. Some options.
-If your Pi is running and connected to a network, you can use Filezilla or WinSCP on Windows to transfer files to it.
-Stick your SD Card into a Linux system (use an Ubuntu Live CD/USB, for example) and transfer files. Windows can't directly recognize the ext4 partition on the SD card; that is why you would use Ubuntu.
-Put the files on a USB drive and plug that into the Pi. Then use Kodi's file manager to copy them to your SD Card.
-Put the files on a USB drive and leave them there. Plug that into the Pi. This is probably the easiest option for most people.

It is a native option to switch outputs between HDMI and analogue audio in Kodi. Can't remember offhand, but, depending on what version of Kodi you're using, it's in something like System->Settings->System->Audio (its the top item on the screen once you find the place). The location is slightly different in Krypton. I don't think it's in the Advanced or Expert settings level, but you can try switching from Standard.
(2016-07-10, 01:57)doug Wrote: user=root, password=libreelec

WOW! Big Grin You got it! Thanks so much! I hadn't seen that information all afternoon. You're the man, doug!

(2016-07-10, 01:57)doug Wrote: There are lots of ways to transfer files. Some options.
-If your Pi is running and connected to a network, you can use Filezilla or WinSCP on Windows to transfer files to it.
-Stick your SD Card into a Linux system (use an Ubuntu Live CD/USB, for example) and transfer files. Windows can't directly recognize the ext4 partition on the SD card; that is why you would use Ubuntu.
-Put the files on a USB drive and plug that into the Pi. Then use Kodi's file manager to copy them to your SD Card.
-Put the files on a USB drive and leave them there. Plug that into the Pi. This is probably the easiest option for most people.

I appreciate the advice, now that I got Filezilla running, I'll use that the most, but I'll probably check out the other options at some point.

(2016-07-10, 01:57)doug Wrote: It is a native option to switch outputs between HDMI and analogue audio in Kodi. Can't remember offhand, but, depending on what version of Kodi you're using, it's in something like System->Settings->System->Audio (its the top item on the screen once you find the place). The location is slightly different in Krypton. I don't think it's in the Advanced or Expert settings level, but you can try switching from Standard.

I found the option and I've changed it to HDMI & Analogue or Analogue Only, but I'm experiencing a glitch where every time the song changes, the option reverts back to HDMI only! Not sure if anyone else has experienced it, I have another thread open about it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't transfer files to Pi0