Upgraded to LibreElec from OE with wrong image.
Attempting to upgrade from OE, I downloaded and installed the tar for the RPi instead of the RPi2 which is what I've got. Now stuck on the rainbow screen. Is there a way of retrieving the situation apart from starting from scratch? I'd like to recover my library if possible. And yes, saving my library is what I should have done before anything else. My desktop computer is running Windows.
Yes you should be able to recover without loss.
Basically open the tar file for the correct image and replace any files with matching names you find on the FAT partition (the one you see from Windows) and it should boot again.

Milhouse may post more exact instructions and if you search around you may find similar posts by him as this issue occurs from time to time.
You'll need to install 7zip to access the content of the RPi2 tar file.

Mount your SD card in your Windows PC, then perform the following operations:

1. Delete the "overlays" folder from the SD card
2. Delete the "kernel.img" file from the SD card
3. Copy the following files and folders from the tar file to the SD card, overwriting any existing files:
Code:
target\SYSTEM
target\KERNEL
3rdparty\bootloader\bootcode.bin
3rdparty\bootloader\fixup.dat
3rdparty\bootloader\start.elf
3rdparty\bootloader\bcm2709-rpi-2-b.dtb
3rdparty\bootloader\bcm2710-rpi-3-b.dtb
3rdparty\bootloader\overlays
4. Rename "KERNEL" to "kernel.img" on the SD card
5. Eject the SD card from the Windows PC and boot the SD card in your RPi2
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Wow. Thanks (again) to you both. I'll give it a go. Total Commander should be able to handle the archive I think.
Good evening all,

I just wanted to say thank you and confirm that these instructions also work for recovering a RPI B+ from an OE to LE upgrade using the incorrect RPI 2/3 .tar file

Wink

kind regards

ARWS
Kudos again to Milhouse - successfully implemented to migrate from B+ to Pi 3

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=314256

many thanks

B (ARWS)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgraded to LibreElec from OE with wrong image.0