Solved Retain&Reposition Filtering (Search) While Adv. Filtering is Enabled in TVShows/Movie
Hi Kodi Community!

One of the problems that I have with Kodi is the "advanced flitering" feature.

When the advanced filtering feature is enabled it disables the normal filtering feature (search) that I prefer.

Further explanation:
The advanced filtering is auto enabled in the most important places alike to "Movies" "TV Shows" "Smart Playlists" and it replaces the search feature.
Which means that I'm forced to access the video sources manually so I avoid the auto-enabling of the advanced filtering and to retain search.

Sample for the advanced filtering:

Sample for the normal filtering (search) :

Kodi is unimaginably customizable and vast so I hope that there's a way to achieve this (even if its a long process I don't mind following through it) if help is provided. If not, then will it be possible to request a feature that allows not to auto disable the normal filtering if the advanced filtering is enabled.

Rationale for liking the normal filtering (search):
Feel free to skip reading it!

I use a wireless keyboard and I have a big library. I press ← in the keyboard then immediately write little bit of the "show" name and it immediately filters for fast access, same goes for the episode #. However when advanced filtering is enabled, I tap enter then popup appears then I write the title then press OK. Instead of immediate search by just inputting letters.

PS; I am aware of (Shift + "Letter")
I appreciate the thought!

Thank you for reading this also!

EDIT

Solution was found along with an additional feature of re-positioning the search to be on top for faster searching via keyboard thanks to @scott967.
Read the comments below to find the steps on how to retain & reposition the search feature while advanced filtering is enabled!Smile
It is a function of the skin you use. I don't know "Estuary Mod" but in default Estuary, the filter(search) option is only available based on a Kodi boolean test (Container.CanFilter). So I was curious and edited the file "Includes_MediaMenu.xml" in Estuary skin files for the edit control id="19" (line 354) to comment out the visibility attribute:

Code:
            <control type="edit" id="19">
                <!-- <visible>Container.CanFilter</visible> -->
                <visible>!Container.Content()</visible>
                <textwidth>395</textwidth>
                <include>MediaMenuItemsCommon</include>
                <label>$LOCALIZE[137]</label>
            </control>

and a quick 1 second test seemed to confirm this works, but I DID NOT REALLY EXAMINE ALL THE SKIN CODE TO MAKE SURE!!! So consider this more a proof of concept. I would request in the skin support forum for Estuary.

(Please ignore the debug info in the screenshot)

Update: OK I was killing time so installed Estuary Mod. Pretty much the same thing except the file was a bit different so in this skin you need to go to line 408:

Code:
                <!-- <visible>Container.CanFilter + !Container.CanFilterAdvanced</visible> -->
            </control>

Same caveats apply about not testing, but updated screenie:

scott s.
(2016-07-15, 05:56)scott967 Wrote: It is a function of the skin you use. I don't know "Estuary Mod" but in default Estuary, the filter(search) option is only available based on a Kodi boolean test (Container.CanFilter). So I was curious and edited the file "Includes_MediaMenu.xml" in Estuary skin files for the edit control id="19" (line 354) to comment out the visibility attribute:

Code:
                <!-- <visible>Container.CanFilter</visible> -->
            </control>

and a quick 1 second test seemed to confirm this works, but I DID NOT REALLY EXAMINE ALL THE SKIN CODE TO MAKE SURE!!! So consider this more a proof of concept. I would request in the skin support forum for Estuary.

(Please ignore the debug info in the screenshot)

Update: OK I was killing time so installed Estuary Mod. Pretty much the same thing except the file was a bit different so in this skin you need to go to line 408:

Code:
            </control>

Same caveats apply about not testing, but updated screenie:

scott s.
@scott967

Firstly, thank you so much!
I've searched for long hours to find a way and thought that there's maybe a sidebar menu XML or it can be achieved by the advanced settings (beginner in Kodi's world), also searched for various solutions. However, my attempts were unsuccessful and the direction I was going in to resolve my issue was always wrong.

So thank you again for spending even more time and trying it out with the skin I'm using. I truly do appreciate it!

One more question before I spend hours and try to achieve a solution then fail.

And I hope that it's okay to post it in here. if I should post it elsewhere then I'll do soBlush

Question
Would it also be possible to rearrange the sidebar menu so that the search is always positioned on top?

If not it's alright, you've helped me more than enough

EDIT
Rearranging was simple.
Thankfully I've found the solution after tinkering a little bit in the xml you've pointed me towards!

Solution
To re-position the search to be the first item in Estuary mod skin
Move the code to line 386 which is under id = 200:

Code:
<control type="label" id="200">
                <include>MediaMenuLabelCommon</include>
                <label>$LOCALIZE[14018]</label>
            </control>
<!--line 386 --><control type="edit" id="19">
            </control>

So glad! and hopefully this will help whoever needs it! Shy
Good you were able to sort it yourself. In no time you will be your own skin modder!

There is a good wiki on Skinning Manual (wiki).

It helps to have xml syntax-aware text editor such as notepad++, also to be able to search for text strings across all xml files in the skin's 720p/1080i folder.

Just keep in mind that if you let Kodi update your skin, your mods will be wiped out so make sure to make a back-up of the whole skin folder, or create a clone and give it a different name in its "addon.xml" file and then you can enable it as your own one-off skin and that way not have to worry about auto-updates killing your mod.

scott s.
(2016-07-15, 22:19)scott967 Wrote: Good you were able to sort it yourself. In no time you will be your own skin modder!

There is a good wiki on Skinning Manual (wiki).

It helps to have xml syntax-aware text editor such as notepad++, also to be able to search for text strings across all xml files in the skin's 720p/1080i folder.

Just keep in mind that if you let Kodi update your skin, your mods will be wiped out so make sure to make a back-up of the whole skin folder, or create a clone and give it a different name in its "addon.xml" file and then you can enable it as your own one-off skin and that way not have to worry about auto-updates killing your mod.

scott s.
@scott967
Thanks for the wiki link. I'll be sure to check it out whenever I face skin related issues!
The notepad++ tip is also useful and I wasn't aware that my mods will be wiped out once Kodi updates my skin.
Thanks for informing me about that. Hopefully, I'll back-up often now!

@everyone
Title was changed to be more suitable to thread. Thread was also edited to be more useful for anyone who faces a similar problem, since the solution was found.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Retain&Reposition Filtering (Search) While Adv. Filtering is Enabled in TVShows/Movie1