To Meta<browser/> or Not To....
I have been using Meta<browser/> (that's how it's titled) for many many years. Since before XBMC, I had been using it with Windows Media Center. Essentially it is a very full-featured scraper and library manager (for those who don't know). It allows me to:

1. name my movies and TV shows physically in a very consistent way
2. download artwork such as posters, banners and backdrops for both movies and series
3. download metadata including synopsis, keywords, cast information
4. download cast images
5. manage set naming very easily
6. much more

All the above is done virtually automatically by simply dropping the movie (or TV series) into the appropriate location on my server.

For example. If I had a movie called (inside a folder)

Father Goose (1964) dvd staring Cary Grant (folder name)
Father Goose (1964) dvd staring Cary Grant.mkv (video name)

And I placed it inside my movie collection folder the following results (fully renamed):

Father Goose [1964]
.actors (folder with actor images)
extrafanart (folder additional artwork)
backdrop.jpg
Father Goose [1964].mkv (renamed video)
Father Goose [1964].nfo
Father Goose [1964]-fanart.jpg
Father Goose [1964].poster.jpg
movie.xml
mymovies.xml

All the above is created BEFORE Kodi even sees it. Then when I update my library, Kodi indexes it very nicely within my library.

The biggest thing for me, really, is the naming convention. Especially for seasons of TV shows. Like, say, Magum P.I. might look like this:

Magnum
Season 1
s01e01 - pilot
s01e02 - second episode name
s01e03 - third episode name

Very consistent throughout the library

My question is this. Can Kodi do all the above automatically? Am I wasting anything by using Meta<browser/>? Is there any better way to do this? Honestly, I am very happy using MB but I always wondered if there was a better way. Remember, all I do is drop a mish-mash of movie/tv show series folders into my library and MB renames and catalogs everything for me on its own.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
To Meta<browser/> or Not To....0