Using Kodi to Record with my Cable Box
Hello,

I'm looking to record from my cable box like my Tivo used to a long time ago.

Simple setup:
* Component output from my cable box goes to my Kodi box.
* IR Transmitter comes out of my Kodi box and sticks onto the front of my cable box.
* Kodi is in charge of changing the channel (Via scheduled listings) and recording to an External USB drive.

Is this possible?

What hardware would you recommend? I'm thinking a windows PC stick but I would need the right in/outputs.

By the way, I'm a Kodi rookie but otherwise very technical. Thanks to any experts that can offer advice.
Yes. Two paths I would recommend:

1. HDHomeRun Prime, if your cable company flags most channels as "copy freely". A few software options exist for the PVR backend.

2. If not, a component capture card, IR blaster, and MythTV as a software backend.

The MythTV setup is somewhat complicated, so let's hope we don't have to do that for now. What cable provider do you have?
Thanks Ned,
I have Cablevision.

Do you know of a way to combine a component capture card ir/blaster into a tiny device like a windows pc stick?
No, you'll probably need an hd-pvr.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-07-14, 22:38)jimerb Wrote: Thanks Ned,
I have Cablevision.

Do you know of a way to combine a component capture card ir/blaster into a tiny device like a windows pc stick?

I've seen them in PCI/PCIe form, but not sure about USB stick form. They probably exist, though.

It looks like CableVision does mark/flag most channels as "copy once" so component capture/IR blaster is your best bet for recording cable TV. At least, if you want to be able to playback in Kodi, which doesn't have DRM support. I would look up some of the MythTV guides for using an IR blaster. It's been a while since I looked, but there were some fairly good guides out there that are probably still relevant.
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I've started searching for setups using these options to get me rolling.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using Kodi to Record with my Cable Box0