Kodibuntu PS3 controller support
SteamOS has been breaking on me recently so I wanted to switch to Kodibuntu because I figure it'll be more stable. So I installed the latest version as of yesterday.

However I'm having a bit of an issue. My PS3 controller works fine when directly plugged into USB but I can't get it to work over Bluetooth, something that SteamOS handles almost perfectly.

Is there a way that I can get Kodibuntu to work as SteamOS does in this regard?

I'm using the current version of Kodibuntu downloaded yesterday.
It's an official PS3 controller.
Kodibuntu uses an older version of ubuntu as its based which has Bluez 4, not 5 which doesn't support the PS3 controllers. I created a patched version which you can install from a PPA that fixes this, see the last post in http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=119172 for more info.

Hopefully a new version of Kodibuntu will be built around the latest LTS version at some point and this won't be necessary any more.
@OmniBlade If you install kodibuntu and do a dist-upgrade to get it up to latest version, does it then work out the box and not need your PPA anymore?
(2016-07-15, 10:37)OmniBlade Wrote: Kodibuntu uses an older version of ubuntu as its based which has Bluez 4, not 5 which doesn't support the PS3 controllers. I created a patched version which you can install from a PPA that fixes this, see the last post in http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=119172 for more info.

Hopefully a new version of Kodibuntu will be built around the latest LTS version at some point and this won't be necessary any more.

I'll definitely give that a try then, thank you very much.

Since you are rather knowledgeable on the subject, do you know what version of Bluez has the proper scripts to easily use the controller?
I had another computer that I was messing with Debian on and also had trouble getting it to auto-pair and auto-connect despite it running Bluez 5.23.
@Nerdy3.14159265 I've not moved to the next LTS yet, so I haven't looked at what is needed to get auto pairing to work on Bluez 5. I believe that it will automatically set the controller to try and pair to the computer, but the issue is that the computer also needs to be set to trust the controller. It looks like you have to do this manually by either using the normal desktop GUI or connecting over SSH and doing a few commands at the command line. There are patches to the sixaxis bluez plugin to automate this which I might try and add once I move to the latest LTS.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodibuntu PS3 controller support0