Sound is gone :(
Hi Kodi members

Don't know where else to post this issue.
I'm having Kodi running on my HTPC since about 2 years now without sound issues. I even upgraded to Win 10 when it came out and I had no issues.

So today, I started up my HTPC to watch some movies and I had no sound (this never happened before). Than I checked windows and I have no sound there either.
- I use a Denon AVR. The HTPC is connected through HDMI to the Denon
- In Win 10, I have "Realtek Digital Output" as standard device set
- Nothing is muted, sound level at 100% in Windows.

I cannot explain why it suddenly doesn't work.
What I tried so far
- Update driver (it was already up to date, so was not possible)
- Checked hardware connections
- Switched output device from Realtek Digital Output to "Denon-AVRHD (Display Audio)". When I did this, I had sound in Windows and also sound in Kodi menus. When I start a movie (5.1) there is however no sound.

The only thing I can imagine is that Win10 did some weird updates when I shut down the HTPC the day before.

Does anybody have an idea on fixing this issue?

cheers,
ecopsorn
[CPU] Intel i3 3220, 2x 3.30GHz Ivy Bridge [CASE] Silverstone SST-ML03B [PSU] Silverstone SST-ST40F-ES Strider Series - 400W [MB] Asrock H77M, Intel H77 [RAM] Corsair DDR3 1600MHz 4GB PC12800 XMS3
[SSD] 60GB Corsair FORCE SATA 3 [STORAGE] QNAP 469L [REMOTE] FLIRC Dongle with Logitech Harmony One [OS] Win 10 Home 64bit
I have a similar setup - Onkyo not Denon, though. I used to get similar issues until I disabled 'Realtek High Definition Audio' in Device Manager. If the amp doesn't respond in a certain period of time, Windows gives up and tries Realtek instead. That drives the sound ports on your PC so your amp won't receive anything.

I'd guess that some of your settings got switched when the Realtek driver got activated, and you need to put them back. For example, you might be using Direct Sound rather than WASAPI. More detail at http://kodi.wiki/view/windows_audio

HTH,

Andy
(2016-07-18, 11:50)AndyHenderson Wrote: until I disabled 'Realtek High Definition Audio' in Device Manager.

Hey Andy

I disabled the Realtek and it worked Big Grin . I'm so glad, thank you very much for your help.
I've been using DirectSound since I didn't know WASAPI. After I disabled Realtek, I only have my Denon AVR in the device list and set to standard. The steps in your linked wiki I performed and now it works either with DirectSound or WASAPI. Since the wiki says that WASAPI is the preferred method, I switched in Kodi to this method and everything seems to work so far.
[CPU] Intel i3 3220, 2x 3.30GHz Ivy Bridge [CASE] Silverstone SST-ML03B [PSU] Silverstone SST-ST40F-ES Strider Series - 400W [MB] Asrock H77M, Intel H77 [RAM] Corsair DDR3 1600MHz 4GB PC12800 XMS3
[SSD] 60GB Corsair FORCE SATA 3 [STORAGE] QNAP 469L [REMOTE] FLIRC Dongle with Logitech Harmony One [OS] Win 10 Home 64bit

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sound is gone :(0