Kodi image stretch. No black bars
I want bars on top bottom so people's faces do t look so narrow and long
I feel like this just keeps going in circles. If you have a 4:3 video, and want it stretched but have bars on the bottom, it makes no sense to do so. The video constraints will not facilitate it. If you stretch it AND add bars, all you're doing is making the picture bigger but cropping the top and bottom to make it everyone look normal.

The only way to get it to look correct when stretching is to select the 4:3 shown as 16:9 as non-linear stretch (as stated in post #2). This will make the image bigger, but it won't make everything look distorted or really crop much or anything.

The adding of bars to an image...is not a solution.
Another happy user of the method above::
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259254 <-- "As i have a lot of videos on 4:3 i wanted to try the new 16:9 non linear stretch option which looks good."

Wiki http://kodi.wiki/view/video_playback

If the option is doing nothing, something is possibly not correctly processing on your equipment. Kodi 16.1 is the first version to have this option.
REGULAR

STRETCH 16:9 (No 4:3 Fix Filter)

WHAT YOU'RE ASKING FOR (Distorted)

WHAT YOU WANT (Undistorted, but with bars)

STRETCH 16:9 (4:3 Fix Filter Added)

Just.....use 16:9...and click the filter to make it look nice. Easy fix.
Someone correct me if I'm just being crazy here.
21x9 to 16x9 will create an image vertically stretched.

When I was young I used to watch a 4:3 tv which when playing movies would show letterbox (black bars) or a cropped movie (edges cut off) - never was the image pinched inwards giving a squeezed distorted image..

Today when I watch movies on my TV (which for most of us is a 16x9 tv)
the movies usually fit nicely into the 16x9 or those pesky letterbox 1,78x1 little black bars or 2,39x1 large black bars and the list goes on with literally dozens of formats. but only one screen to play it on.

thats why we play around and zoom the image to fit the screen cutting off the sides as we did with the 4:3.
if this was automatic and was done for us it would be great. however sometimes even the smartest of boxes, and people play the given image with the incorrect aspect or zoom.

Anamorphic lenses (I have one still for my projector but never use) distorted the image to compensate for the stretch to fit the screen. so a letterbox image on a 2,39 screen stretched virtually to fit or remove the black bars. creating a pinched face. I believe this is the image being referred to and nothing to do with 4:3. I too have an android box that refuses to play nicely and show letterbox so my kids get to use it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi image stretch. No black bars0