Help replacing win7 Media Center with Kodi & Pi 3
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I hope I am posting this in the proper area.

I currently have a Windows 7 media center which communicates to both my Silicon Dust HDHR and HDHR Prime w/ cable card. (I have 2 boxes 5 tuners in total)
This setup has worked great for years, but with support dwindling for media center and win7 I thought it would be time for a change.

I purchased a Pi 3 and installed openELEC Kodi on it, works great for streaming, but I want to have the same DVR functionality that my Windows media center has.

This is where I get lost...
I read that I need to go to my add-on's and select the PVR options (however its missing) and I can't enable TV support until I complete the first step.

I am guessing I need to install some kind of PVR/DVR server engine (like MythTV <- which supports my HDHR tuners) and the corresponding client add-on.
I just can't
A - Figure out how
B - Can the Pi 3 handle it?

If someone out there has a similar setup and has it working please let me know what you did..

Thank you,
Joe
I've not tried using any usb type tuners. But in my case I have some pci expansion card tuners. What I did was move them into my 24/7 home server. I then installed NextPVR on the server (running Windows). After configuring it with the tuners and setting up all the guide data, I then installed the NextPVR front-end inside Kodi. Once that was done, I then enabled the PVR bit in Kodi settings. If you go this route, NextPVR has own support forum where you can get help.
(2016-07-20, 22:03)joez3434 Wrote: I am guessing I need to install some kind of PVR/DVR server engine (like MythTV <- which supports my HDHR tuners) and the corresponding client add-on.
Yes, you need to install the PVR "backend". There are a few options, as listed on the wiki entry PVR_backend (wiki). Like hansolo77, I have installed NextPVR, but that's an option for Windows, so it's not much use to you. You need to pick one of the options for use in linux (subsection 1.2 on the wiki link).

I didn't have to install any "front-end". I selected to install them when I installed Kodi and all I had to do was enable the one to use NextPVR and all was there and functional in Kodi (or NextPVR itself). I'm not sure how much you need to do to get your choice functional, but at this stage have a look at the options and see which appeals best to you (or download a couple and have a look at them, that's what I did). Once you know what you want to get working, there should be plenty of people to help you, and there should be wikis and guides to help.
http://kodi.wiki/view/HDHomeRun

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help replacing win7 Media Center with Kodi & Pi 31