Am I doing this right?
I have a Rasp2 that I've loaded Openelec v6.0.3 on. I also have a USB disk with movies I have copied from my DVDs (so the DVDs are now "backups") and that disk is plugged into a separately powered USB hub. I had a heck of a time getting Openelec to "see" the USB drive. The only way I was able to eventually do it was to create a symbolic link from /storage/video to the mount-point of the USB disk.

BUT, and this is what I'm not understanding, I'm not getting fan-art and other icons pulled down automatically so that the thumbnail view has poster-like images (hope that makes sense). So I'm wondering if what I did with the USB drive is affecting this ability? HOW should I have done it?

I'm about to add another media-center on a Rasp3 and want to make sure I get the thumbnails on that one.

Pointers, suggestions, URLs, etc. welcome.

Bill W
I'd make sure you can see the drive properly first. If you go to videos > add source > browse you should find it via root filesystem > media.
Once you've set your sources correctly you then need to 'set content'. At that point, when you've told kodi that a folder contains eg movies, it will (should!) scan the folder and create fanart etc. It sounds like you're in a file view at the moment - which means you've set a source but not set content, so no scan has been done.
If that's the case then have a read around in the wiki - there are guides for creating a library there that are better than anything I'd write here.
(2016-07-21, 19:21)wweissborn Wrote: The only way I was able to eventually do it was to create a symbolic link from /storage/video to the mount-point of the USB disk.
Why didn't you just add the mount point as a source?

(2016-07-21, 19:21)wweissborn Wrote: BUT, and this is what I'm not understanding, I'm not getting fan-art and other icons pulled down automatically so that the thumbnail view has poster-like images (hope that makes sense). So I'm wondering if what I did with the USB drive is affecting this ability? HOW should I have done it?

I'm about to add another media-center on a Rasp3 and want to make sure I get the thumbnails on that one.

Pointers, suggestions, URLs, etc. welcome.

Bill W

Presumably you're just accessing the USB disk in Files mode, and haven't added a source, set the content on the source, then scanned your sources into the Library. The thumbnails and fanart will be added as your content is scanned into the Library.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2016-07-21, 21:14)Milhouse Wrote: Why didn't you just add the mount point as a source?

Because I could then never get the USB disk to be shared out via samba so I could copy the DVDs directly. In other words, it was a bit of a hack.

Hmmmm, set source and then set content, eh? I'll give that a try and see what happens.

Thanks!

Bill W
(2016-07-21, 21:38)wweissborn Wrote:
(2016-07-21, 21:14)Milhouse Wrote: Why didn't you just add the mount point as a source?

Because I could then never get the USB disk to be shared out via samba so I could copy the DVDs directly. In other words, it was a bit of a hack.

Hmmmm, set source and then set content, eh? I'll give that a try and see what happens.

Thanks!

Bill W
You need to make a samba.conf file to do that.
If you stick the pi's IP address in windows explorer (eg\\192.168.1.xx or whatever) and look in 'Configfiles' you'll see samba.conf.sample. Open it in a text editor (notepad++ works), add the following:

[USB Drives]
path = /media
available = yes
browsable = yes
public = yes
writable = yes
root preexec = mkdir -p /media

Save as samba.conf > reboot. As if by magic...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Am I doing this right?0