RPi Model B + kodi/mysql + sabnzbd + sonarr
Let me know if this is even possible. I currently have a laptop with a bad backlight running windows 10, this serves as a server for Kodi/MySQL, and downloads with sabnzbd and sonarr.

Currently I have an external hard drive connected, and only forsee adding one more in the future. I don't do a lot of 1080p media, so 3-6TB seems more than sufficient.

I have a Raspberry PI just sitting around doing nothing right now, and feel a laptop is using more power/electricity than a RPi ever would. I don't want to invest in a NAS right now, and don't need redundant storage. If I lose videos, so be it, I'm not putting anything important on these drives.

What Id like to do is use the Raspberry PI to take the place of the laptop, but I need all the same functionality. The Pi will not actually play anything through Kodi on it, but rather just host the MySQL database (which i understand I have to have Kodi running for this all to work). If I can have some central updatable database without Kodi running full time, I'm all ears, but Im sure it must run 24x7.

I want to be able to remotely add NZB files for it to download to the external drives. sabnzbd fits the bill and is pretty much platform agnostic, so it'll be happy with whatever i throw it on. I use Sonarr for automated tv show handling, as sickbeard stopped working for me quite a while ago, and I like the Sonarr UI better too. Its also happy with linux, so I should be okay there.

I don't plan on hooking a screen to the PI if i can get away with it, so it'd be nice to have some way to remote in to graphically control it via a separate OS X or Windows computer. This isn't a show stopper, but it'd be nice to have so I don't need to hook a screen to it.

I assume some kind of linux flavor is going to be required to do all of this. My experience in linux is somewhat limited, so a user-friendly UI/GUI would be nice over everything command line.

Is what I'm looking for easily possible? Should it be pretty solid?

BTW its a Raspberry Pi 1 Model B
No you don't need to run kodi on your MySQL machine. The pi should be able to do this, raspbian would be your best bet of os as it is well documented.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-07-22, 23:59)nickr Wrote: No you don't need to run kodi on your MySQL machine. The pi should be able to do this, raspbian would be your best bet of os as it is well documented.

How do I have a central database (to be able to stop/resume in different rooms, share library, etc) without Kodi running on the server? At least on the windows based setup right now, If i don't have Kodi running on the server, all the clients fail to connect. Ive been doing it this way for many years, so the process may have been updated and I never knew.
Sharing via smb or nfs does not require kodi to be running. My server doesn't run kodi. It's always been that way.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-07-23, 00:36)nickr Wrote: Sharing via smb or nfs does not require kodi to be running. My server doesn't run kodi. It's always been that way.

Im not simply wanting to share the files/directory. I want one single library for every single kodi client in my house. If i update the library, it should update the same on every machine (via the mysql database) at once. I don't want each client to have its own library. The same if i pause a movie in my living room and then want to resume from the same point from another room.

http://www.htpcbeginner.com/kodi-mysql-s...e-library/ I'm doing this
I know what you are doing. You do not need to run kodi on the server ok?
By the way, follow the wiki instructions.
(2016-07-23, 00:56)nickr Wrote: I know what you are doing. You do not need to run kodi on the server ok?

Sorry, I understand it now. The way you worded it at first threw me off.
Yeah what I mean is if you want to serve files and run MySQL you don't need kodi installed on the server.

(I suppose you would need to have kodi installed if you wanted to serve the files via it's UPNP server, but you are far better off with SMB/NFS)
Im waiting on seagate to replace a 3tb drive that went dead on me to give this a go. Looking into it, Raspbian should have an easy remote desktop experience using OS X/x11 so I shouldn't need to have this anywhere near a tv or monitor. Now i just need to figure out something else I can do with the laptop since it'll be freed up.
You don't need a desktop to admin a linux server, just SSH.
(2016-07-24, 06:58)nickr Wrote: You don't need a desktop to admin a linux server, just SSH.

i understand that, but being the linux newb i am, i think id prefer to use a gui to get my toes wet
http://trendblog.net/automatically-downl...and-aired/

NZBGet is much smaller footprint and resource use than SABnzbd. Also still getting updated. I use both, but use NZBget on the older linux boxes or PI boxes due to better resource usage and smaller footprint.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RPi Model B + kodi/mysql + sabnzbd + sonarr0