Home screen Menu "Builder" - add/remove/reorder - within Settings GUI
It would be nice to be able to have a section in the Settings GUI that allowed easy modifications (add/remove/reorder) to the home screen menu. Many of us like to have custom items on the button scrollers like direct access to Scripts, MAME, separate TV Shows/Movies sections, etc.

Having a GUI based Home menu "builder" would be sweet and remove some of the confusion for noobies as to how to do it and what settings to use to get a specific menu view (library, files, etc).

This would also allow ease of mod when scripts no longer work, etc... seems to happen a lot Wink
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
This is a function of the skin, not core XBMC, for the simple reason that there are so many variations possible.

Those skins that use static content in a list make this very easy to alter - a single .xml file (similar to favourites.xml) can be used to control it, and hiding items is easy via a skin setting, though order and adding new items requires editting the XML - it's pretty simple to do though (and I'm sure a simple python script could be knocked up to achieve it).

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I understand it is based in the skin but so are many other things that are controlled/changed via the GUI. This is about making some very cool skins easy change on the fly and easy to set for a noobie.

Is it possible to have the 'wraplist' or 'buttonscroller' dynamic based on guisettings.xml thus enabling it to be set via the GUI?
It's possible, but that then pretty much requires the skin to have that functionality.

I prefer skinners have total control (if possible) over their skins.

Ofcourse, if the skinners want it and have a nice generic way to do it, that's a different story.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Affini, I WAS working on a skin that was basically exactly what you are describing, with the home page content very very much up to the user. Project Mayhem III is not well suited to this sort of thing for one simple reason: the big buttons on the left-hand side are all stuck together as a single image, so you cannot arbitrarily remove any of them. However, if one were to make a button scroller, it would be no problem Smile

Actually I remember I eventually conned Jmarshall to add in some stuff to the skinning engine specifically to allow the skins to contain lots of dynamic stuff. I am uber busy at the moment (finishing TWO albums at once, plus full time job) but I would be willing to help you out if you wanna build some sort of PMIII add-on. I figure you would wanna put the home screen config stuff in the Skin Settings page, so the eventual finished mod would only be like 2 XML files. Be warned, this kind of thing gets pretty heavy on the code. My own project's "home page setup" XML was like 800+ lines of code or something rediculous Sad
Catchy Signature Here
SleepyP,
Log ago I mod'd PM3 to use a button scroller, I hate static buttons and needing to dig multiple layers to get to something I access a lot.

Here's my thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=1...post143839

I'd like to do this mod but I'm a very poor XML coder. Let me know when you get time. I can help, but not likely code it myself.

I also really want to make PM3 a widescreen skin... e.g. make the left-side menu dissapear to allow better use of the screen real estate. Again, more then I can tackle myself. I'm better with the photoshop side of things.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Home screen Menu "Builder" - add/remove/reorder - within Settings GUI0