[Feature Request] Global Disable of Subtitles
I don't know if there is some place to do this, but I have not found it.
I would like setting in System-Settings-Videos-Subtitles to turn off Subtitles unless I specifically turn them on for a particular video.
Thanks,
Donald Palmer
When watching, press OK, click the audio icon, turn off subtitles, scroll down and save as default. Done.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
This is one of those settings that really should be in both the player settings and the actual settings under Subtitles. I don't know if that's possible with the way Kodi works, but it would be a huge usability improvement.

Heck, really, anything that can be set as default should be in both places.
Instead settings there preferred subtitle language with option for OFF
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Ah yeah, I keep forgetting that the track preference can also turn off subs.
(2016-07-24, 10:16)nickr Wrote: When watching, press OK, click the audio icon, turn off subtitles, scroll down and save as default. Done.

Yes I know about this, it's just a lot of button pushing when one does not want them on any shows.
(2016-07-24, 13:30)Martijn Wrote: Instead settings there preferred subtitle language with option for OFF

OK, that works but not very intuitive, IMO. Thanks.
That is something I really think should be off by default. It is one of the first things I turn off, but every time I do a fresh install I forget about it and it really gets me
The assumption is that if your videos have a subtitle track then you probably want the subtitle track. Otherwise the user wouldn't add a subtitle track when they rip it, or delete the sub files if they get it from "other sources", etc.
(2016-07-25, 05:04)Ned Scott Wrote: The assumption is that if your videos have a subtitle track then you probably want the subtitle track. Otherwise the user wouldn't add a subtitle track when they rip it, or delete the sub files if they get it from "other sources", etc.
I think a lot of people have set their automatic downloaders to download subtitles as well. So that they have the subtitles available if they need them.

I have couchpotato automatically downloading subs, as well as a plex plugin downloading them for all tv shows.

I only turn the subs on if I don't want to turn up the volume too much. Like if other people in the house are sleeping or doing work, etc.

Overall, I think your assumption is valid for forced subtitles, but not full/complete ones.
It is one button press on any decent remote.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-07-25, 04:46)dpalmer Wrote:
(2016-07-24, 10:16)nickr Wrote: When watching, press OK, click the audio icon, turn off subtitles, scroll down and save as default. Done.

Yes I know about this, it's just a lot of button pushing when one does not want them on any shows.
It's a one off, ever!
(2016-07-25, 05:04)Ned Scott Wrote: The assumption is that if your videos have a subtitle track then you probably want the subtitle track. Otherwise the user wouldn't add a subtitle track when they rip it, or delete the sub files if they get it from "other sources", etc.

then this is a bad assumption. sometimes you might not be able to understand what a character is saying so you'll turn them on and back up. or maybe you're watching late at night and don't want to disturb the house so you leave the volume low with subtitles on. one family member might be hard of hearing. one might have a better grasp of the language than another. one might have difficulty understanding accents. there are plenty of reasons to include a subtitle track that you would not necessarily want on by default.
I'm fully aware of the many situations were subtitles are used. It's not a matter of what is 100% universal, but a matter of what is a reasonable default for the people who make Kodi (I would say "for most users", but there really isn't any data for that).

It would be a bad assumption if there was no way to turn them off by default after setting up Kodi. As nickr keeps pointing out, it's once and done. The same can be said for having multiple sub tracks, where you might need to indicate sub preference. A proper MKV or MP4 can even define sub tracks without having any of them enabled by default, in a totally default Kodi setup.

In the end, I could see it go either way. I'm just explaining the reason I discovered when I had looked into this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Feature Request] Global Disable of Subtitles0