IR Receiver hole in KODI case?
(2016-07-24, 21:09)Milhouse Wrote: I guess some receivers might be a bit more directional?
No doubt - they're directional whether your pi (or whatever) is behind the tv or not though, surely.
I've read nothing but good things about FLIRC - hideability just seems like the last thing you'd think of as a plus, that's all.

<shrugs>
(2016-07-24, 21:07)trogggy Wrote: Maybe we're at cross-purposes here... I know what it is - just confused as to why being able to stick your pi behind the telly is being given as the big advantage - when you can do that with any old receiver.

That don't work for my IR that came with my Happauge PVR card. And all the IR receivers I have come across, either TV, VCR, PVR box is often pretty bad and don't offer a very wide angle to work. With FLIRC I can point my remote on the opposite wall and it still works.

Sure, CEC allows you to hide your RPi but still need to use your TVs IR.
(2016-07-24, 19:10)jglazer63 Wrote: Yep my old (2 year old) tv would be a horrible solution. But, that's all I got.
It was your argument with the old TV, not mine. Your TV should have CEC.

Gerald
Gpio receivers suck Any way. The number buttons don't work on mce remotes.
(2016-07-24, 21:21)raptorjr Wrote:
(2016-07-24, 21:07)trogggy Wrote: Maybe we're at cross-purposes here... I know what it is - just confused as to why being able to stick your pi behind the telly is being given as the big advantage - when you can do that with any old receiver.

That don't work for my IR that came with my Happauge PVR card. And all the IR receivers I have come across, either TV, VCR, PVR box is often pretty bad and don't offer a very wide angle to work. With FLIRC I can point my remote on the opposite wall and it still works.

Sure, CEC allows you to hide your RPi but still need to use your TVs IR.
I have at least half a dozen different types of IR usb receivers - mostly linked to stuff in cupboards or behind tv's.
I tend to try to stick a receiver near the tv's receiver and then just use the remote like a tv remote. Never had an issue that way, but I've never tried pointing the remote deliberately away. If you're saying FLIRC is less directional / more sensitive than other stuff you've used that sounds great - but it's still nothing to do with where the box is.

Or am I missing something? Huh
(2016-07-24, 21:21)raptorjr Wrote: Sure, CEC allows you to hide your RPi but still need to use your TVs IR.
Not necessary, my Plex App, on my smartphone or tablet, casts a movie to the RPi and the RPi uses CEC to power on my TV and AVR to play the movie. Should be possible with Yatse too.
IR is so 80s.

Gerald
(2016-07-24, 21:39)gdachs Wrote: IR is so 80s.
Meanwhile us poor souls who don't have (or even want) the latest greatest tv / receiver manage quite happily with IR.
One remote to control everything, it's not much of a hardship.
(2016-07-24, 21:42)trogggy Wrote: One remote to control everything, it's not much of a hardship.
You should check what I have quoted. raptorjr had a problem with using the remote of the TV.
I offered him only an alternative.

Btw. an AVR is not necessary for my solution. A TV with CEC is just enough.

Gerald
I considered flirc but I just cannot justify clogging a USB port for an IR solution that is already supported elsewhere. Flirc is a fine product. I am planning to just have the IR receiver on a small wire attached to the top/side/front of my entertainment center. Nobody will see it.
(2016-07-24, 21:25)WolveArePrettyCoo Wrote: Gpio receivers suck Any way. The number buttons don't work on mce remotes.

I just needed to edit lircmap to get all buttons to work on my mce remote with gpio receiver
Another upvote for GPIO from me - I have two Pi's with them (for a sum total of about £3 each in components) and they work just fine. And are extremely simple and easy to hide away, as the IR receiver diodes are tiny and are on the end of 3 wires that you can trace and tuck away quite easily.

If you want a case with one build in (plus a powered USB hub and SATA adaptor too), look at a Plusberry Pi.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-07-24, 22:34)DarrenHill Wrote: Another upvote for GPIO from me - I have two Pi's with them (for a sum total of about £3 each in components) and they work just fine. And are extremely simple and easy to hide away, as the IR receiver diodes are tiny and are on the end of 3 wires that you can trace and tuck away quite easily.

If you want a case with one build in (plus a powered USB hub and SATA adaptor too), look at a Plusberry Pi.

Finally! A suggestion I could dig into! Never heard of the Plusberry Pi. Looks great. Slightly larger than I like but the internal extras are really cool. I'll have to order one to play with. A simple jack in the KODI size case is all I was hoping for but I can do that myself Smile.

Thanks DarrenHill!!
Have a look at the Flirc case + Power on/off inkl. IR + RTC (parent proof) post which may give you the outcome you want within your small Kodi case Nod

[edited to fix link]
I'm a XBMC novice :)
(2016-07-25, 04:24)skylarking Wrote: Have a look at the Flirc case + Power on/off inkl. IR + RTC (parent proof) post which may give you the outcome you want within your small Kodi case Nod

A link which only takes you to the 'reply' option probably isn't what was intended
Derek
I managed to reuse an old HDPlayer Box, connected the front IR receiver of the previous HW via GPIO, connected the front Power button to the reset line of RPi,
and finally remapped all keys of the HDPlayer's Remote to be used with OSMC.
It works like a charm, and the cost was virtually zero.
If you wish I can share some pictures

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
IR Receiver hole in KODI case?0