Thinking about Chromebox
I've been thinking about replacing my Mac Mini with a box specifically dedicated to Kodi. The Chromebox is often recommended, but I'm not very familiar with the OS for it. Looks like it's setup with an Openelec build. Not really familiar with the supported features of Openelec.

Is vnc supported? Seems like every time a new version of Kodi is released I need to update the skin. Normally I do this via vnc from another computer so I don't have to listen to "How much longer is this going to take". Confused

Will the Chromebox support the Aeon Madnox skin? Really like it, but I can always switch back to Aeon Nox if Madnox is too much.

What's the best OS for Chromebox? I know there are several Linux builds being used for Kodi. Not really familiar with them though. Need support for vnc (as mentioned) and hopefully smb shares.

Would appreciate any advice. Linux is not my middle name. Big Grin
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
--> http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112

--> http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=194362
ASRock Beebox J3160 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Elite BT
Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Smart Control BT
all @ Libreelec Testbuild
HP N54L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server / MySQL DB
HP N40L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server
(2016-07-24, 21:51)john.cord Wrote: --> http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112

--> http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=194362

Thanks. Saw that thread and tried searching it, but vnc isn't a long enough term and screen sharing yielded no results.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
(2016-07-24, 19:24)wgstarks Wrote: I've been thinking about replacing my Mac Mini with a box specifically dedicated to Kodi. The Chromebox is often recommended, but I'm not very familiar with the OS for it. Looks like it's setup with an Openelec build. Not really familiar with the supported features of Openelec.

Is vnc supported? Seems like every time a new version of Kodi is released I need to update the skin. Normally I do this via vnc from another computer so I don't have to listen to "How much longer is this going to take". Confused

Open/LibreELEC don't support VNC (except on the rpi platform), but you can push files over via SMB or ssh/scp

Quote:Will the Chromebox support the Aeon Madnox skin? Really like it, but I can always switch back to Aeon Nox if Madnox is too much.

yes, without a problem

Quote:What's the best OS for Chromebox? I know there are several Linux builds being used for Kodi. Not really familiar with them though. Need support for vnc (as mentioned) and hopefully smb shares.

LibreELEC 7.0.2 (until the 8.0 / Kodi 17 builds are stable)

Quote:Would appreciate any advice. Linux is not my middle name. Big Grin

LE is designed to operate like a Kodi appliance, and for the most part completely insulates you from the underlying OS. It's what I'd recommend without hesitation.
The lack of vnc support is disappointing. SSH is not really an option when new skins have to be installed. Seems like every Kodi update requires a skin update too. Guess I could always do the setup on another machine and then transfer the skin folder.

What is the best model of Chromebox for use with kodi? Was thinking probably one of the I3 models. Would I7 bring better performance?
A skin updates takes all of 5 minutes (dependent on download time). The standard Chromebox is fine. No need for i3 or i7
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-07-25, 02:55)wgstarks Wrote: The lack of vnc support is disappointing. SSH is not really an option when new skins have to be installed. Seems like every Kodi update requires a skin update too. Guess I could always do the setup on another machine and then transfer the skin folder.

What is the best model of Chromebox for use with kodi? Was thinking probably one of the I3 models. Would I7 bring better performance?

Every major Kodi update includes significant changes to skinning capabilities and the skin API, so all skins must be updated as a result - no way around that. if you're looking to preconfigure the skin, then what you suggested is likely the easiest course of action.

Your basic Celeron 2955U/57U 2GB model (~$100 used/refurb) is all that's needed; a Core i3/i7 model will only help with video content that's not GPU decoded (eg, Hi-10P and HEVC), but even then they aren't that much more capable. All of this is covered on the wiki page Smile
Update: openelec had a vnc addon, and it still works on libreelec. I just tried on my stable (LE 7.0.2 - Jarvis) and alpha (7.90.003 - Krypton), both running on chromeboxes.

The download is in this thread:

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-189.html
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-07-25, 08:53)nickr Wrote: Update: openelec had a vnc addon, and it still works on libreelec. I just tried on my stable (LE 7.0.2 - Jarvis) and alpha (7.90.003 - Krypton), both running on chromeboxes.

The download is in this thread:

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-189.html

nice find, I had googled and come up empty (though admittedly didn't try that hard)
I remembered the conversation...

I am presently getting to grips with git to try and add the OE addon into LE. Don't hold your breath....
I second that standard Chromebox is fine.
Using Madnox with standalone OE with Jarvis build, and everything works great!
Added a Flirc and an IR remote. Fantastic experience all around.
Thanks nickr. Found that thread in my googling. Wasn't sure if x11vnc would still work. Good to get a confirmation that it does.
(2016-07-24, 19:24)wgstarks Wrote: I've been thinking about replacing my Mac Mini with a box specifically dedicated to Kodi. The Chromebox is often recommended, but I'm not very familiar with the OS for it. Looks like it's setup with an Openelec build. Not really familiar with the supported features of Openelec.

Will the Chromebox support the Aeon Madnox skin? Really like it, but I can always switch back to Aeon Nox if Madnox is too much.

What's the best OS for Chromebox? I know there are several Linux builds being used for Kodi. Not really familiar with them though. Need support for vnc (as mentioned) and hopefully smb shares.

Would appreciate any advice. Linux is not my middle name. Big Grin

I would forget the Chromebox given that a low cost NUC is around $ 100 USD . No hacks required it will just run any flavor of Linux you like including kodubuntu. You can also install to an ssd and still use a hard disk for local file storage. And the low cost 2820 boxes even have built in IR sensors
kodibuntu is dead.

Better to use Ubuntu server or similar and add kodi to it. Follow fritsch's howto.

Which NUC would you get for $100?
(2016-07-28, 07:42)tekno Wrote: I would forget the Chromebox given that a low cost NUC is around $ 100 USD . No hacks required it will just run any flavor of Linux you like including kodubuntu. You can also install to an ssd and still use a hard disk for local file storage. And the low cost 2820 boxes even have built in IR sensors

a 2955U-based Chromebox mops the floor with the poor Atom-based N-series Celeron NUCs. Lots of Chromebox owners have upgraded from a N2830 NUC after being disappointed with its performance, particularly with HQ deinterlacing and handling of heavy skins

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thinking about Chromebox0