Remote Desktop Control
So I have done quite a bit of searching, looking for clues on how to do what I want... lots of dead end information, so forgive me if I'm flogging a dead horse.

I have a number of physical Kodi (OpenELEC) machines serving TVs at home. They all access a MySQL instance on a headless server in my utility room. This Windows 7 server runs 7/24 and also contains my media content along with a few minor services. I would like to have an instance of KODI on it for the sole purpose of scheduled KODI library updates. It would never be asked to play media.

However... while installing KODI on it is possible, I can't seem to make KODI run there (fails before it starts). Research seems to reveal it won't because I'm accessing the machine over remote desktop (Remmina from a Linux workstation).

I mean, ideally, all that needs to run on the machine is a scheduled KODI library scrape/update. But I can't seem to find if there is service-only function for this as an alternative to a KODI install either.

Are either of these two ideas possible or is there an alternative I should be made aware of? I don't want to leave one of the other KODI machines running all the time with scheduled library updates.

Cheers,
RLW
What about a headless Raspberry Pi3 running *ELEC to manage the library? Might be easier to maintain and keep in sync (in terms of upgrades etc.) with all your other *ELEC clients. With it running headless you might even be able to power it from just a USB port (or maybe two, with a y-cable) from the Windows server. For library updates you might only need a basic WiFi connection.

You can manage Kodi very effectively using JSON - often no need to access the GUI. The script in my signature can help with automating Kodi processes.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Good thoughts Milhouse, thanks for the ideas.

My first reaction is that I am keen to keep the component count low and prefer not to add another machine. However, I may have to do just that.

Currently, I have a little Gigabyte BRiX PC in the garage which I leave on all the time, to manage library updates every hour. It's there, versus with the server, since there is an occasional use TV in the garage. I like it because it's passively cooled and therefore doesn't hoover up the typical garage dust. But not so good as it's slightly underpowered, not on UPS (we seem to have frequent power outages) and its BIOS won't allow PXE boot. This latter aspect is an annoyance because all other systems here are PXE booted, which makes OpenELEC updates as simple as a file copy on my NAS. So you make a good point regarding updates and a non-OE KODI instance on the server adding work to the update process, as I have that now with the BRiX.

Perhaps I'm best to replace the BRiX with something else. It just has to be fanless, PXE bootable and ideally use the generic OpenELEC release. Any inexpensive candidates along these lines that are capable of handling x.265 encodings?

Darn pity there is no service/daemon for server-based library updates...

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
RLW
sounds like you've found that you can't run dx/opengl over remote desktop? if you update your server to windows 10 you can, not sure if Linux supports the full remote desktop protocol so you may also need to access it via remote desktop on windows.
Have you thought to use VNC to remote to the win 7 server? That is what I do and Kodi runs fine. I seem to remember I had to install a a monitor driver that is bundled in the settings.

Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Cheers
Confusion is just a state of mind.
(2016-07-24, 22:16)WildPhydeaux Wrote: This latter aspect is an annoyance because all other systems here are PXE booted, which makes OpenELEC updates as simple as a file copy on my NAS.

Hi,
I have a similar setup as yours. I use a NAS drive for media storage and MySQL DB and clients simply stream from the NAS drive. I use one of my clients to clean the library and export the library from that client back to the NAS drive as individual files. This is a crude way but it works. Even my clients die or MySQL DB is corrupt, all I have to do is delete profile data from the client, and delete the databases. When I launch a client again, it will automatically create new databases and automatically add my media. All of the "watched" statuses are saved as of last export.

I would love to have a headless server for managing libraries etc but nothing available as of yet.

Would you mind elaborating on how you are updating your machines using PXE? It would be great if you can give some information on your client hardware and how you have it all setup. I used OpenElec a while back but found that Kodi versions lag behind a lot.

Thanks.
@mrkaras - I Haven't done exhaustive tests, but not only could I not make it work, but most everything I read was discouraging...

@FlashPan - that would certainly be a simple enough thing to test, and I have used VNC in the distant past, so I'm familiar with it.

@DJDJDJDJ - With the exception of the single BRiX in my garage, all my TVs are connected to NanoPCs, specifically, Foxconn Brazos AT-5570's. These have been awesome and simply handle any media I throw at them... except they simply cannot do the new x.265 stuff. They are passively cooled and completely silent. I have memory in them, obviously, but no hard disk or memory stick. Their BIOS let me set them to boot from the network (PXE Boot), so they look to the router for instructions...

My router is running a DD-WRT firmware which has PXE boot support, so when the clients get their IP addresses assigned, they also get told where the TFTP server is by the router. The TFTP server daemon is on my NAS.

The NAS is a NetGear ReadyNAS Pro. I run a TFTP app on it which directs incoming clients to a config file. The config file points to the location of the OpenELEC kernel files and also a root directory where the clients are to build their home directories (these are named the same as each client's MAC address).

Updating all PXE machines is as simple as updating the single set of kernel files which resides on the NAS. If I only want to update one client for test purposes, I can place a special config file for just that client which points to a different set of kernel files.

All clients use the MySQL database KODI library hosted on the NAS, which is continually maintained by the BRiX PC in my garage which does have a local install of KODI on a USB key.

It's actually very simple and has been flawless for three years, since I set it up. The NanoPCs even suspend/resume quite nicely, although booting them from a cold, off state takes only 30 seconds via PXE.

RLW
Sounds like a great setup. I never thought about using PXE for my media devices. I do have DD-WRT router as well. The main difference being some of my devices are android based while other are PCs with a mix of Linux, OpenElec and Windows. I have a standard setup of XML files that I use on all devices to configure them. When adding a new device, I simply drop the XML files and off you go.

I'll have to check out your nano PC. Are you looking for a replacement model for the x.265 stuff?
I'm quite pleased with the simplicity of my setup. And like you, I have a set of XML files I use as a template which prescribe configuration for everything from media and library locations to skin preferences and remote control key maps.
I use the original TV remotes along with FLIRCs to control most of my systems, so they are simple one-remote setups. I've set the NanoPCs to simply sleep after 30 minutes of idle time. And I mapped the TV power buttons to the Kodi wake command, so one touch brings forth entertainment. The only exception is in my main living room where there is audio gear, and there I'm forced to use a Harmony to keep the remote count to one...

These particular NanoPCs are no longer made, but there are some with more muscular CPUs, albeit at prices where there is more competition. At the time I bought these, they were well under $200 including the FLIRC and a 8Gb memory SODIMM.

But, yes, I am looking for a reasonably priced X.265 capable replacement, if only for my main system initially. Android-based systems are generally the knee-jerk response, but I really don't want to get back into needing local disk (or memory stick) configs on individual systems. PXE boot is where it's at for me.

I'm also fussy about device noise, strongly preferring passive cooling, and about appearance. As capable as some devices may be, I don't care for yellow striped multi-sided geometric plastic cubes in my media stand with cables entering all sides... These NanoPCs are black or silver anodized aluminum cases that, while not audio industry standard form factors, are nonetheless not totally out of place with classic audio gear.

RLW
Back on topic, I was able to get Kodi working on the headless server. I never did try VNC, after I found out the server part of it is no longer free like it used to be...

I never changed anything on the server (Windows 7 Pro) or the viewing PC (Linux Mint using Remmina). All that was required was to configure Kodi to run in a window instead of full screen. I'm sure this could have been done with a change in an XML file, but I just temporarily attached a monitor and keyboard to set it.

This has now become my library updating and cleaning machine, which was my aim. With a server running 24/7 for a variety of network tasks, it may as well take on this task as well so I can power down (sleep) all other Kodi machines and still have overnight TV shows show up in the library the next morning...

Also, wonder of wonders, there was an updated BIOS for my BRIX which now provides for PXE booting...

RLW

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote Desktop Control0