Files in folder disappear
Hi,

I'm using Kodi on my raspberry Pi2 for playing movies and TV shows. All the files are stored on an external HDD drive.

I have been struggling with an issue for quite a while : from time to time, my folder stops displaying its files, and even totally disappears.

Here is my issue and what I have noticed so far : When I create a new folder and sub-folders (let's say Walking.Dead -> S01), I usually start by creating the folders on my Mac, dragging all the movie files inside my subfolder (S01 in this example) and then I use samba to drag the main folder (Walking.dead) into my TV Shows folder on my raspberry bi. Up until here, I (usually) do not have any issues. However, I'm having the following problem.

Here are the steps I will perform
1- Unplug my HDD and plug it directly to my computer
2- Drag new files into my subfolder (example : Walking.Dead.s01e10 into S1)
3- Unplug my HDD and plug it back again into my raspberry pi
If I do this, then sometimes (yes, sometimes, for some strange reason), my folder will be empty, or even the folder itself will not be visible on my raspberry pi. Sometimes, I will be able to see it via Samba and not on my raspberry, sometimes I won't be able to see it neither via Samba nor on my raspberry. If I plug my HDD back onto my computer, I will see the files.

Additionally, I have noticed the following, if I do these steps:
1- Plug my HDD to my Mac
2- Creat the new folder and it's subfolders (Walking.Dead -> S01) on my Mac
3- Drag the files into the subfolder
4- Drag the folder onto the HDD
5- Unplug the HDD and plug it on my raspberry
If I do these steps, I will see the folder, its subfolder and the files, which means that I can drag things directly from my computer onto the HDD and still see the files on my Raspberry. So my theory is that if I create a folder in one specific way (dragging via Samba for example), it seems I have to continue doing so in the futur or else my folder and/or files will not be visible anymore.

I know it's not a naming problem and my guess is that it's a permission problem. However, I see that the files have full permissions.

In a word, I would like to be able to drag files into subfolders via Samba or into the HDD plugged on my computer without causing folders/files to disappear. Are others having the same issues? Does anyone have an idea how I can solve this?

Thank you in advance,

Konrad
I have a very similar problem to you and just posted my questions on the forum.

What I have been told is it is to do with permissions.

As I am new to all this, it basically was Greek to me, but this is my take on it:

FAT-32 doesn't support PERMISSION flags/bits.
When I plug a USB stick in my XBMC PI, and look in the directories, I see nothing as well.

On another PI, I can see them and they play.
When I copy them to the USB stick, they won't play, but I can see them. (Go figure)

But when I plug it in to the XBMC machine, NOTHING!
I see the directories, but no files.

Good luck! We both need it.
Update!

I was kind of wrong.

The setting up is not as easy as I had thought and this time going through the steps, I found the problem.

When navigating to the new path, you will NEVER see the files. At the last part you tell the program that they are video files/audio/pictures/what ever and select a "source database" or something like that.

At this stage you do NOT see the files. I thought you should have. My bad.

Then you finish all that and go back to the main list of directories and select it, and the files are then visible.

I'm not sure that is EXACTLY what you problem is, but this problem had me stumped for months.
Partly because I have only 1 monitor with HDMI and it is being used for other things the rest of the time, so the KODI/XBMC is low priority.

All the same: Good luck.
(2016-07-25, 13:13)konrads Wrote: 2- Drag new files into my subfolder (example : Walking.Dead.s01e10 into S1)
When you aren't dragging the Folder (walking dead), what is the subfolder on the external drive a subfolder of?

(2016-07-25, 13:13)konrads Wrote: I know it's not a naming problem and my guess is that it's a permission problem. However, I see that the files have full permissions.
Full permissions on the Pi? How about the subfolder, what permissions does that have?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Files in folder disappear0