Kodi not finding Synology NAS
So what kind of sorcery do I need to perform to let Kodi feed off the Synology 1815+ I just acquired?

When trying to add a folder...
I tried smb but couldn't see anything
I clicked zeroconf and it showed the name of my NAS but I couldn't find any way to see my folders
I enabled NFS on the NAS and tried that and it showed the IP address of the NAS but just like zeroconf I couldn't do anything with it...
did you try to map the drive of Synology on your pc where Kodi is installed? For Example: 192.168.xxx.x\Video => Video (V: )
(2016-07-25, 14:48)Miss_80 Wrote: did you try to map the drive of Synology on your pc where Kodi is installed? For Example: 192.168.xxx.x\Video => Video (V: )

Sorry I should have been more specific. I'm actually getting rid of the HTPC since I got the NAS. I'm replacing it with an Nvidia Shield so I'm running Kodi/SPMC from that now.
Than I'm afraid I won't be able to assist Cool. Did you try this thread
Set it up as a source..
As you will know it's ip address..
Then you will be able to load in your other directories from the source that you have included..

I am assuming you have given it a static IP..
Also a good idea is to use one of the remote control apps on your phone to do setups.. I find it a lot easier then using the inbuilt Kodi keyboard all the time..

Also, I am assuming you have got dedicated share drives for all your media? And that you have run dsvideo to at least check that the NAS has scanned (indexed) all your media and you can see it all within the dsvideo app?
If you have done that then you can also use the upnp to find your media too..as synology will broadcast itself across your network..
(2016-07-25, 15:24)Miss_80 Wrote: Than I'm afraid I won't be able to assist Cool. Did you try this thread

I asked here because I figured it would be exactly the same... from the minimal amount of time I looked at the app it is Kodi!
And thanks for the link... didn't think to look for a thread here for some reason.

(2016-07-25, 15:30)dgcruzing Wrote: Set it up as a source..
As you will know it's ip address..
Then you will be able to load in your other directories from the source that you have included..

I am assuming you have given it a static IP..
Also a good idea is to use one of the remote control apps on your phone to do setups.. I find it a lot easier then using the inbuilt Kodi keyboard all the time..

Also, I am assuming you have got dedicated share drives for all your media? And that you have run dsvideo to at least check that the NAS has scanned (indexed) all your media and you can see it all within the dsvideo app?
If you have done that then you can also use the upnp to find your media too..as synology will broadcast itself across your network..

Didn't set up a static IP...just assumed that was done automatically...
I may be able to plug a keyboard into the Shield... I'll have to check.

I didn't really think there would be anything complicated about this... I've had a dedicated HTPC for the last 10 years and the NAS and Shield are totally new to me.
Maybe I should finish going through my NAS manual first since I don't know many of the things you mentioned.

So far I've simply been created folders with File Station and loading them up with my media... I can access them from my PC's with Windows Explorer or through my browser.
If you've done nfs on the nas then add it as a network location, enter the server name and username and password, this should connect and then allow you access to all folders on yhe NAS.

Just had to waste time recently doing the same on a shield i just got, android is not fun.
SKIN: Aeon Madnox
RIP Schimi2k, we miss you.
When I grow up I want to be a skilled skinner
Thank me by ⬇ adding to my + reputation
(2016-07-25, 23:20)Mike_Doc Wrote: then add it as a network location, enter the server name and username and password, this should connect and then allow you access to all folders on yhe NAS.
Yes, when you go to "add videos" and browse the shares, go down to the bottom and add the server and put in the username and password. Unless you've enabled the guest account on the nas, it needs that login information for kodi to access the server and show what's on it. Unless you've got the server name in your "hosts" file, put the IP address, not the name of your Synology. Also, on the Synology check the permissions of the shared folders if Kodi can't access them after you've set up Kodi access to the server.
Well, I made some progress.
In the NAS control panel >>>file services>>>win/mac/nfs>>>enable nfs is checked

Shared folders.
Select a folder and edit tab>>>nfs permissions
create a client with my Shield IP...privilege= read only...squas=map all uses to admin...acynchronous=yes...non-privileged=denied...cross-mount=allowed

Did this with 3 shared folders.

In SBMC opened a new network location... entered the ip of the NAS...when I click on this I see all 3 of the folders I enabled but have no access to them....
When I set up the new network location and change to NFS type the use and password fields get grayed out..Huh
Ok... so right after I posted that before giving up and going to bed...
Looking at NAS CP again... Clicked on User tab and for some reason admin and guest were both disabled.
Enabled them and back to the shield....still nothing!

Decided to try SMB again since this is what I assumed from the beginning would work.. and BAM.. everything was available.
Scanned in a directory real quick using my local metadata and had a movie playing nicely.

Thanks for your time guys!!
Good to hear that you were able to sort it out. Now its time to enjoy Kodi Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi not finding Synology NAS0