SSD - will it improve FF and rewind
I have an HDD in an old PC running LibreELEC (mainly as a frontend to MythTV)

Everything works fine except that FF and rewind is not very reliable so I wondered if I would get an improvement if I upgraded to an SSD?
I have already tried doubling the RAM to 8Gb but that made no difference.
No,probably not.
The ffwd/rwd function just isn't 100% fluid in kodi, although devs have done all they could to improve it.
If you search the forum you will find multiple topics about this.
Yep - presumably for smooth FF/REW you have to decode at much higher frame rates and so will be pushing H264/H265/MPEG2/VC-1 decoding architecture first? For less fluid results you presumably need to find I-frames or similar and decode them (to give you a fast slide show) and how frequently the stream contains I-frames (i.e. how long the GOP is) will dictate this to a degree too?
As I have understood it from a dev pov this is just f-ing hard to code.
Its just one of those things I have learned to accept. I have almost gotten adapted to using skip steps were it just drops you a number of secs/minutes ahead/back in a less than precise matter.
This is weird because for me, using LibreELEC on my NUC, ff or rwd are smooth as butter while doing the same thing on Windows is always choppy as hell.
Box 1: ODroid N2+ 4GB
Box 2: Intel NUC D34010WYK (Windows afedchin's Krypton MVC Build)
Box 3: Vero 4K
RIP schimi2k | I miss you buddy :(
(2016-07-27, 19:12)ArieS Wrote: This is weird because for me, using LibreELEC on my NUC, ff or rwd are smooth as butter while doing the same thing on Windows is always choppy as hell.
My NUC is fine too but my 2 x FireTVs, my Nexus Player and my Dell Optiplex PC all lock up when using FF.
I have now learnt how to use "Skip" and it seems much better.
(2016-07-26, 09:08)Atreyu Wrote: No,probably not.
You were correct. I borrowed an SSD just to check but it made no improvement.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SSD - will it improve FF and rewind0