Win Movie Meta tags, what software
I apologise if i've posted this in the wrong section.

I am trying to clean up some issues I seem to have with my Movie files, many are wrongly tagged and aren't as neat and tidy as my music collection.
I've been using Tagscanner as the software to sort my music collection out - embed artwork, rename files, fill in or correct tags, gather info from online sources etc.

Is there an equivalent that does this kind of thing for movie files (predominantly.mkv files) ?

Thanks in advance
Mkv files don't get "tagged" in the same way as music files. It is a matter of proper naming. See the wiki.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-07-29, 13:24)nickr Wrote: Mkv files don't get "tagged" in the same way as music files. It is a matter of proper naming. See the wiki.

Thank you, I obviously didn't know that, I consider myself educated! (sort of explains the dodgy artwork problems on some of my collection!)
I use Ember Media Manager:
http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=195
to rename, scrape and collect images for my media before Kodi scans them.

It's got loads of features and great developers working on it
4x R-Pi4b LibreELEC v10 | Aeon Nox: SiLVO | Flirc cases
Storage Synology DS411 | 4 x WD RED 6TB
Software MariaDB 10.4.19 | Filebot | Ember Media Manager
wiki (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | Debug_Log (wiki) | mysql (wiki) | artwork (wiki)
Ember Media Manager here too. Getting all my art work with EMber... btw make sure you name it correctly too. Movie title (year) bluray/dvd
There is defined metadata tags for mkv. The common input method is via xml text file which is added to the mkv container. Mkvtoolnix has reader/writer and there some tools out there to edit the actual tag content. But from the POV of Kodi, it does not read the tags out of the file, instead uses a simple xml formatted file called nfo. There are different tools that can extact data from online like imdb and write Kodi-compatible nfo files. What would be desired is to create a program to convert these to/from mkv formatted xml. I am unaware of such a program though.

scott s.
But kodi doesn't need .nfo files or any media manager. Name the files correctly and scrape is all that is required.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-07-31, 00:11)nickr Wrote: But kodi doesn't need .nfo files or any media manager. Name the files correctly and scrape is all that is required.

Certainly true. But it is an option for local data, if a user desires. If nothing else it makes it easy to rebuild a database.

scott s.
(2016-07-29, 13:24)nickr Wrote: Mkv files don't get "tagged" in the same way as music files. It is a matter of proper naming. See the wiki.

Well they would. You can tag them with everything. I actually wrote a converter for converting the Kodi pseudo-XML .nfo-file into an mkv XML-tag-file: http://seegras.discordia.ch/Programs/nfo2xml this can then be added to the mkv with mkvpropedit foo.xml --tags all:foo.mkv , and then it's just as tagged as any music file could be.

It's just that Kodi can't read it. In fact, it doesn't even try, it always uses the .nfo file first and always.

Addendum: The converter is written in perl on Unix, so YMMV on Windows/ActivePerl.
(2016-07-30, 22:22)scott967 Wrote: What would be desired is to create a program to convert these to/from mkv formatted xml. I am unaware of such a program though.

Now you are.

I'm currently thinking of writing a program that also converts the XML to the pseudo-XML .nfo file; but I'm not quite sure which way to go. I could just as easily have mediainfo write a .nfo from the tags within the mkv, instead of exporting the real XML first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movie Meta tags, what software1