RPI, USB stick, video files. NOT SEEN
Hi,

I feel I know the answer before I ask, but am asking in the hope someone has found a "solution" to the problem.

My idea was to get XMBC set up, and though it can/will play files from my NAS, to be able to plug in a USB stick and play files from there.
That isn't expecting too much from a player - is it?
Seems it is.

As the USB sticks are FAT-32 format, there seems to be a problem with "permissions"

I play a file on another PI, quite happily.
But as soon as I copy it to a USB stick it won't play. Huh?
I can see it, and it looks ok. But it won't play.
Same with music files.

Ok, this is not on XBMC, yet, but is part of the journey towards learning the problem.

Putting that problem aside, I plug the USB stick into XBMC and try there.
WORSE!
It won't even display the files!

So: On the stick, I have a directory called MUSIC and VIDEO. Files in both. I can see them on the other PI.
On OPENELEC/KODI/what ever it is now called, I see NOTHING!

After a lot of searching I found it is to do with PERMISSION bits on the files.

Looking on the other PI, they are all nice and set for GROUP access and OTHER access.
On the stick, NA!

Now, ok, fair enough, this is "part of the O/S" and if the permission bits are not set, you can't access the files.
But rather short sighted if the format system of the device/media does not support said flags.

It makes it rather annoying as now to watch any "new" files, rather than simply turning on XBMC/KODI/etc and plugging in the stick, I have to power up the whole network and NAS drives and plug the USB stick in there to watch the clips.

There will be puritans who say "That is what a network is for, and so you shouldn't turn it off. Likewise for the NAS drives."

Yeah, what ever....

I am stating my situation and want to find out if there is a way around this permission bit problem on FAT-32 USB sticks.

Anyone?
Debug log (wiki) and ls -l|paste for a file that wont play.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Shall do, but with only 1 monitor, it will not be soon. Sad
Ssh
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Good news. Kinda.

I am silly, but that's a given.

I didn't realise the "setup" was so difficult for new paths.

I have to set a few things first, and missed some. It does play them.

However, on a side note:
The instructions on the link you posted are not exactly CORRECT.

Point 2:
Turn debugging on:
Inside of Kodi go into Settings → System → Logging and turn on Enable debug logging. You will see some weird text pop up on the screen.

That does not exist.

I am running KODI 6.0.3 RPI.
Clicking on the "check for updates" NOTHING happens.

I have to go to: (From the main menu/screen)
SYSTEM/SETTINGS/SYSTEM/DEBUG (or something else)
I can't give exact details (yeah, piece of paper.....) but it is NOTHING like what is written.
What "saved" me was the fact the "weird text pop up on the screen" part, which happened when I activated DEBUG MODE, not LOGGING.

Anyway, all is kinda good now.

Problem resolved for playing files.
Kodi 6.0.3 is a nonsense. Kodi is at version 16.1, and the next version (17) is in alpha stage now.

6.0.3 sounds like an openelec version perhaps.

Different skins may give you slightly different names or paths for menus. If you think the wiki is wrong, update it.
Hey, I am just reporting what I see.

I go to the system/..... ah, I can't/don't remember.

It isn't a simple task of turning it on. I have to pull apart the system now (which I am using) and hook up KODI.

No big deal and I wasn't BLAMING you, rather mentioning that what the link said and what I saw were way different and confusing.

As to the version: Well, that is what was CLEARLY written on one of the screens titled VERSION - I think.
I again state, that the names used are not always exactly what I see on the screen.

As I also mentioned: Clicking the "CHECK FOR UPDATES" button yielded nothing. And yes, I was connected to the internet.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RPI, USB stick, video files. NOT SEEN0