USB DVD drive - questions.
I bought a cheap USB DVD drive to plug into the system.

Putting a DVD in, a new menu appears and it says "PLAY DISC".

GREAT!

I put in an audio CD...... Nothing.

I put in a data DVD....... Nothing.

Is there a way to play audio CDs?

Is there a way to play files from a data DVD?
I'm confused. Did you select "play disc" and it did nothing? Or are you trying to enable auto-play?
Well, the story is, I plug in the DVD drive and when I put a DVD in it, a new menu option appears and it says PLAY DISC.

Ok, I don't remember if I did press PLAY or not. But the option was there.

Putting an AUDIO cd in, nada. Nothing.

Autoplay? Dunno. I am still at the menu.

No I am just putting discs in the drive and noticing what happens.
Don't discount the fact your cheap USB DVD player may simply be faulty and does not work.
And since you have not mentioned what "system" you use, it's hard to make anything other than general PC related comments.

So, plug the USB DVD into a PC and verify you can see it within device manager and explorer.
If so, pop in a disc and open the drive within explorer.
If you can see the files, the drive should be OK.
If the drive is not visable to the OS, or the files can't be seen, it may be a power issue/faulty, laser fault or OS issue.

If you have verified that the DVD works on a PC, then you need to provide more specifics about your system and what is actually occuring (and a debug log wont go astray).

[edited}
you posted while i was typing s l o w l y Smile
I'm a XBMC novice :)
Yeah, ok, it is a cheap DVD drive. But putting a DVD in, it comes up. (I probably did quickly test it by seeing if the DVD menu comes up and was happy enough for that stage of testing.)

Yeah, ok, I goofed with the USB stick and getting files to play. I may have to go back and try it again.
When the disc is inserted, go into either the video or music areas and into their file views. The drive should be listed there.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
USB DVD drive - questions.0