Req Bundle ffmpeg executable with Kodi
Hi All,

Just wondering with Krypton and all the changes etc going in, what peoples thoughts were of bundling the ffmpeg executable with it?

I know a set of libraries are used in Kodi - I was just wondering if it could also bundle ffmpeg executable as well?

Why? - For things like the AudioBooks Addon - at the moment to get fuls use out of it, it required the user to manually get hold of ffmpeg and copy it onto the machine (Proving tricky for some users).

I didn't know if there were any other use-cases, but wondered if some ffmpeg libraries were being grabbed for Kodi - if this could be made available as well?

Not to worry if you think not - but thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks
Rob
I guess the problem is you can't access Kodi's ffmpeg libraries from your add-on?, in which case what you would seem to need is an API to access the specific ffmpeg functions you require, perhaps this could be done via the new Inputstream interface. However I'm not one of the experienced dev's so don't have much clue on this area, but it might help others if you spell out exactly what you need ffmpeg for?
Hi jjd-uk,

Yes, can't access the librarys directly (as the addon is Python and the libraries C/C++). Currently it runs the command line to "list audio file information (including chapters)" so that it can then parse that data and precent AUdioBook chapters to the user.

I wouldn't need an api to the ffmpeg executable - as I see it being there as a utility - so AudioBooks (in this case) would just have access to the command line ffmpeg tool.

Thanks

Rob
We compile our own ffmpeg as dll or .so
Best would be that it's made as api interface to what you need it for. Shipping extra exe or something will certainly not be done.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2016-08-01, 16:38)Martijn Wrote: We compile our own ffmpeg as dll or .so
Best would be that it's made as api interface to what you need it for. Shipping extra exe or something will certainly not be done.

I'd love a Python interface to get the "details" of a given file - just the text output would be fine - I can then grab the bits I require.

I currently run:

ffmpeg -hide_banner -y -i <fullFileName>

So if it's possible ... great!

Thanks
Rob
Can't you load the ffmpeg lib though something like python ctypes? It might be tricky but it will probably work?

See for instance :
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Avpy/0.1.0

Enviado do meu A0001 através de Tapatalk
Ffmpeg is statically linked on some platforms. No way to load them from python. Also calling an executable from an addon (like ffmpeg) isn't supported on all platforms. Just for your information.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Yap realized that yesterday while looking for the library on my system. Thanks

+1 however for the OP idea/some way to call ffmpeg functions from addons.

Cheers

Enviado do meu A0001 através de Tapatalk
Thank you everyone for your comments on this.

A couple of thoughts.

1) If I was to add support to use ctypes as suggested to use the ffmpeg library - would it still get the OK to continue to reside in the Kodi Addon Repo (Where the addon is at the moment).

2) Does anyone know where best for me to look for where the ffmpeg libraries are on each platform and the interface I should use?

Thanks

Rob

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bundle ffmpeg executable with Kodi0