Multi-room video on Kodi
Hello,

I was wondering why Kodi doesn't propose a native multi-room solution ?
Currently, if you have more than one Kodi installed in different rooms of your flat/house, there is no synchronization between them (you can't stop a movie in your bedroom and continue to watch it in another room)

Is anyone can tell me if that'll be released in the future ?

I think that this problem could be addressed by building an full 3-tier architecture.
It could be something like :

- Kodi server version (installed on NAS Synology or Qnap or whatever) that includes an SQL server.
- Kodi clients (your mini-PCs) with an agent to communicate with Kodi server

What do youy think ?

Regards

Julien
http://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL
Thank you man !!
My question/suggestion wasn't stupid then Wink
(2016-08-03, 11:05)julien2490 Wrote: I was wondering why Kodi doesn't propose a native multi-room solution ?
Currently, if you have more than one Kodi installed in different rooms of your flat/house, there is no synchronization between them (you can't stop a movie in your bedroom and continue to watch it in another room)

Not true. In addition to MySQL mentioned above, there is also media library syncronization via UPnP that does not require separate server setup. All you need is at least a pair of Kodi instances.
Syncing and sharing (wiki) for a wider overview in the wiki of the different options, including the two mentioned above.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-08-03, 12:10)DarrenHill Wrote: Synching and sharing (wiki) for a wider overview in the wiki of the different options, including the two mentioned above.

Thanks, but the wiki page is empty. Is that normal ?
It wouldn't be if I could type, and hadn't snuck an extra "h" in there.

Oops! Have corrected my post Wink
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-08-03, 12:07)Roman_V_M Wrote:
(2016-08-03, 11:05)julien2490 Wrote: I was wondering why Kodi doesn't propose a native multi-room solution ?

Not true. In addition to MySQL mentioned above, there is also media library syncronization via UPnP that does not require separate server setup. All you need is at least a pair of Kodi instances.

As far as I understood, the library synchronization via UPnP doesn't allow you to stop watching a movie on your first KODI and finish watching it in another room.
I didn't find any full documentation but I think the problem with this solution is that you have to keep your "master" KODI up.
Moreover I don't really understand what's the benefits of using the library sharing if you have a NAS.
UPnP does allow that, but there are some bugs in Kodi that prevent it from always working.
Thank you for your responses. I'll try to set up MySQL.
By the way, can I have a feedback regarding the MySQL deployement ?
Is it working as expected ?
As far as I know, it's still working as expected.
It works fine for me at home, and does the kind of thing that you wanted it to.

One thing to note is that all devices need to be running the same major version of Kodi (Isengard, Jarvis, Krypton etc) as each uses a different version number of the various databases, so to share them they all need to be the same.

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-08-04, 10:39)DarrenHill Wrote: It works fine for me at home, and does the kind of thing that you wanted it to.

One thing to note is that all devices need to be running the same major version of Kodi (Isengard, Jarvis, Krypton etc) as each uses a different version number of the various databases, so to share them they all need to be the same.

Thanks for you feedback. I'll start the configuration and let you know Smile
Working perfectly here for years.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multi-room video on Kodi0