v17 PVR without AC3?
Feature or bug? I didn’t find any information about this. I just installed Kodi 17 Alpha 3 and don’t get passtrough sound SPDIF from PVR. My HTPC is running Windows 10 Pro and PVR client is MediaPortal. With Kodi 16.1 I didn’t have any issue on this.
You need to enable AC3 encoding for this case.
(2016-08-03, 11:25)FernetMenta Wrote: You need to enable AC3 encoding for this case.

Where should I do that? Because movies play well with AC3. My sound settings seems to be ok as well.
From memory I think AC3 from PVR may have been disabled to fix sync issues, if you want AC3 to an AVR over SPDIF then you need to enabled the AC3 transcoding option in System -> Audio, however this won't strictly be passthrough as there'll be decoding and re-encoding going on.
(2016-08-03, 14:47)jjd-uk Wrote: From memory I think AC3 from PVR may have been disabled to fix sync issues, if you want AC3 to an AVR over SPDIF then you need to enabled the AC3 transcoding option in System -> Audio, however this won't strictly be passthrough as there'll be decoding and re-encoding going on.

Yes, I had activated AC3 in System -> Audio, but I cannot see any differencies. My Teufel amp doesn’t show AC3 like it did before Krypton. When I play a previously recorded program it plays AC3 as expected.
Hope this feature comes back.
There are two AC3 options, make sure you have the "Enable Dolby Digital transcoding" selected, but note this will only appear if you have the Number of Channels set to 2, as you should for a SPDIF connection.
(2016-08-03, 16:32)jjd-uk Wrote: There are two AC3 options, make sure you have the "Enable Dolby Digital transcoding" selected, but note this will only appear if you have the Number of Channels set to 2, as you should for a SPDIF connection.

Very strange. I have all AC3 options enabled. And now, maybe also before, on some channels I get a AC3 signal on my receiver. And stranger I can control volume of this. Does Kodi 17 decode AC3 for volume setting and then encode again to pass through the SPDIF to my receiver?

But this doesn’t work stable. And still not for AC3 or DTS sound in movies. So it’s not practical to have it at all. Tough I’d like to see on the tv screen the volume indicator.

BTW is it a Windows issue only or an issue for every plattform?
so, is this still an issue? I am still only getting PCM on Live TV. When I record the same though, it's Dolby Digital.
Why not just read the setting? It's not an issue it is by design:

First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
what are you telling me? There is no passthrough in Live TV anymore? This is a joke right??
(2016-10-18, 21:37)3000 Wrote: what are you telling me? There is no passthrough in Live TV anymore? This is a joke right??

seriously...

i have the same issue and do NOT use "sync to display". i get PCM only watching live tv. i can record the exact same show and watch it with Dolby 5.1...

if i watch live tv directly in NextPVR it has 5.1 Dolby sound as it should...
I am telling you, that in Krypton no live stream will have passthrough as the description said. If you want it, select 2.0 output and enable ac3 transcoding.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-10-19, 07:16)fritsch Wrote: I am telling you, that in Krypton no live stream will have passthrough as the description said. If you want it, select 2.0 output and enable ac3 transcoding.

just curious, why was this changed?
With live streams it's far more difficult to keep audio/video in sync with passthrough enabled.
(2016-10-19, 22:11)jjd-uk Wrote: With live streams it's far more difficult to keep audio/video in sync with passthrough enabled.

I didn't have a problem with it the previous 3 years of using Kodi. Would be nice to at least have the option...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PVR without AC3?0