v17 PVR without AC3?
(2016-10-19, 23:08)SnakeEyes Wrote:
(2016-10-19, 22:11)jjd-uk Wrote: With live streams it's far more difficult to keep audio/video in sync with passthrough enabled.

I didn't have a problem with it the previous 3 years of using Kodi. Would be nice to at least have the option...

When using the described approach, you get what you want with the bonus, that we can resample the audio before encoding it to AC3 again. Though, there is no single reason on HDMI device with multi-channel support to output AC3 when 5.1 can be output after decoding.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-10-20, 10:36)fritsch Wrote:
(2016-10-19, 23:08)SnakeEyes Wrote:
(2016-10-19, 22:11)jjd-uk Wrote: With live streams it's far more difficult to keep audio/video in sync with passthrough enabled.

I didn't have a problem with it the previous 3 years of using Kodi. Would be nice to at least have the option...

When using the described approach, you get what you want with the bonus, that we can resample the audio before encoding it to AC3 again. Though, there is no single reason on HDMI device with multi-channel support to output AC3 when 5.1 can be output after decoding.

There could be a few reason:
-avoid resampling (or all other modification that kodi could apply to dolby digital)
-avoid kodi decoding that may or may not be bitperfect (and it will not be if kodi does resampling)
-transfering audio decoding completely to the avr in case your player (old computer, ...) does not have enough horsepower to decode audio AND video at the same time (even more possible if you have to decode AND re-encode)
Moanbag is in da place!
We talk about a lossy format even a pi 2 can easily decode, right? Not adjusting audio means image stutter...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-10-20, 18:39)fritsch Wrote: We talk about a lossy format even a pi 2 can easily decode, right? Not adjusting audio means image stutter...

Why would I rely on a $35 device to do DAC when I have a beautiful pioneer elite with the ability to do it perfectly?

By the way I tried this last night and the enable ac3 transcoding option sounded terrible. There were audio artifacts I could hear everywhere. Oh and strangely enough I am getting video stutter on live TV now.

Between this and the decision that only marshmallow Android boxes would get passthrough I am approaching an interesting decision. Either abandon Kodi or stay on Jarvis until some of this is resolved.
(2017-01-23, 15:41)jjhtpc Wrote:
(2016-10-20, 18:39)fritsch Wrote: We talk about a lossy format even a pi 2 can easily decode, right? Not adjusting audio means image stutter...

Why would I rely on a $35 device to do DAC when I have a beautiful pioneer elite with the ability to do it perfectly?

By the way I tried this last night and the enable ac3 transcoding option sounded terrible. There were audio artifacts I could hear everywhere. Oh and strangely enough I am getting video stutter on live TV now.

Between this and the decision that only marshmallow Android boxes would get passthrough I am approaching an interesting decision. Either abandon Kodi or stay on Jarvis until some of this is resolved.

agree completely. this "decision" is mind boggling...

my $35 FireTV stick passes 5.1 flawlessly. my $80 FireTv does as well. but my $900 PC doesn't even get the option?

lol
I was perplexed too with this and found this thread.....

Any Update on this ISSUE with Kodi 17 ?? Will this be addressed or reported as addon feature to Kodi RC??

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PVR without AC3?0