[split] Canadian Broadcasting Corp (CBC.ca) Video Addon
(2016-08-05, 00:55)learningit Wrote: I'm not sure why you are here in the CBC thread.

Because somebody deleted his post without saying why. So now he is confused and is just hitting up random threads looking for an answer.

(2016-08-05, 00:55)learningit Wrote: Your previous post was trashed because it referred to a banned add-on. A non-exhaustive list of banned addons is here: banned addons (wiki)

Your banned addons (wiki) link is bad. It goes to a boiler plate page about there being to such page. I think you meant Banned_add-ons (wiki).

Simply deleting posts that refer to banned add-ons doesn't really help anyone, IMHO. As Saffos613 writes, he had no idea why his post was deleted. That just leaves a confused and no further educated user who starts seeking out answers and hitting random threads to get them.

If instead, whoever deleted his post replaced it with some boiler plate about why it was an inappropriate post and providing a link to banned add-ons, etc., the user would have at least understood the issue and maybe even learned a thing or two about why piracy is bad and stopped doing it.

(2016-08-05, 00:55)learningit Wrote: If you ask about banned add-ons in this forum you can expect that it will be trashed because the forum has a strict no piracy stance. The add-on you previously referred to is one of the worst piracy offenders and is illegal in many countries, including the one you are resident in.

This would have been a useful replacement for his deleted post instead of just deleting it with no explanation. it would have wasted less time for everyone.

Not that I am implying that you deleted his post. But as a prolific add-on developer and somebody who clearly had access to the information about his deleted post, I am sure you must be able to have a conversation with the moderators that are doing the deleting about how to better educate the users instead of just deleting posts and leaving people confused and wandering around hitting random threads looking for answers.
Above moved as it has absolutlely nothing to do with the CBC support thread. Author has a history of irrelevant posts.
(2016-08-05, 14:18)learningit Wrote: Above moved as it has absolutlely nothing to do with the CBC support thread.

No. It was moved because you have an axe to grind with me.

I could have won a million dollars that you would have had that reaction you know.

Your post before mine that I was replying to had absolutely nothing to do with the CBC support thread either. Why didn't you move that one? "Rules for thee but no me" I suppose. My post had just as much relevance as yours did before mine. I think mine in fact was more helpful to the post you were replying to than yours was. You didn't even get the link to the banned add-ons page right.

(2016-08-05, 14:18)learningit Wrote: Author has a history of irrelevant posts.

Author has a history of useful posts that you just don't like so you [ab]use your almighty powers to censor him.

FTFY.

I suppose now you will use your almighty powers to have my account banned just because I called you out on your abuse of power.
@shred00

It's not deleted. It's right here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=285515

Unless it is a very specific situation (for example: cleaning up exact duplicates/redirects/etc, personal information leaks, blatant spam), no post gets deleted right away. The very reason is so that the user can read why their thread was closed.

The moderator tool closes the thread, posts a message that explains why the thread was closed (with proper links to the forum rules), and moves it to the trash forum where it remains for a while. This also leaves a redirect link in the forum where the post originally was made.

Perhaps there is an issue with new accounts not being able to see threads in the garbage forum, but if not, there's no reason for the user to not be able to find and read why this last thread got removed.

learningit had nothing to do with that thread being closed, by the way. You attacked him for something he didn't even do, so he moved your rant out of the CBC thread. Considering your last post, he had good reason to do so. There's no abuse of powers here. There's no censorship either. If anything, moving it to the off-topic forum made it more exposed.

tl;dr version - shut up Wesley
@ned - the mod tool doesn't leave a re-direct any more, as certain sections were basically drowning in them at times, all pointing to threads about banned add-ons (wiki). So it was decided rather than keep advertising such junk, the redirect link was removed.

But everything else is correct - no thread is deleted other than spam as a general rule (even duplicates are binned rather than deleted), and all should be accessible to any account here via the find all posts and find all threads links in the user control panel.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Right. So the person who gets their message [re-]moved has no idea why. Then they start trying to find out why and it ends up being a distraction and a waste of time for the random people/threads that they start hitting up for answers or even clues.

My post was simply explaining this to learningit because he seemed to have no idea why somebody was in his CBC thread looking for answers. Given that, I don't believe my post was any more or less relevant to the thread than the one he posted before it -- but he decided to remove mine and leave his. Mine even provided the correct link to the banned add-ons that would have been very helpful for the poor clueless user looking for answers.

(2016-08-06, 09:28)Ned Scott Wrote: learningit had nothing to do with that thread being closed, by the way.

I know he didn't. I even said as much in my post:

(2016-08-05, 13:18)shred00 Wrote: Not that I am implying that you deleted his post. But as a prolific add-on developer and somebody who clearly had access to the information about his deleted post, I am sure you must be able to have a conversation with the moderators that are doing the deleting about how to better educate the users instead of just deleting posts and leaving people confused and wandering around hitting random threads looking for answers.

(2016-08-06, 09:28)Ned Scott Wrote: You attacked him for something he didn't even do,

Attacked? There was no attack. Not even close. What part of my informative (to both learningit and the poor clueless poster) post was an attack?

(2016-08-06, 09:28)Ned Scott Wrote: so he moved your rant out of the CBC thread.

Rant? It was not even a rant! It was a calm, well-written, well-intentioned response to learningit's question about why the poor fella was in his thread asking questions about his deleted post and some suggestions for how to prevent that sort of thing happening in the future.

How you can interpret that as a "rant", I have no idea.

(2016-08-06, 09:28)Ned Scott Wrote: Considering your last post, he had good reason to do so. There's no abuse of powers here. There's no censorship either.

Except that he feels like he can post an OT message and nobody else can, even when other people's OT posts are providing insight and help. My message was no more on or off topic than his own was. But in his own view, his post was OK and mine was not. That's the abuse of power. Rules for thee and not for me and all of that.

If learningit were really just trying to keep all OT messages out of the thread, then he should have split off the post he was replying to and replied to it in the split-off thread. But no. Saffos613' OT post was fine. His own OT post was fine. It was just my post, 3 posts later that he decided to single out as the one OT post that would not be allowed. That's the censorship.

(2016-08-06, 09:28)Ned Scott Wrote: moving it to the off-topic forum made it more exposed.

Except for the original OT poster, Saffos613, who had no idea I even posted a message with a corrected link to help him understand about banned add-ons. How was he further helped by having the post moved off somewhere that nobody else knew about?

Anyway. This is a dead horse. Going forward, I will just stop trying to be helpful since it's clearly unwanted.
Any user can easily find their own posts, even if they have been put in the garbage bin.

Please stop this silly argument now.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
You are assuming that a new user knows about finding their own posts. I know it took me a while to discover that.

You are assuming that a new user knows that his post was removed intentionally and not as some kind of glitch in the software.

I think generally there is just a lot of assumptions on the knowledge of new users (where his posts can be found, some add-ons are banned, posts get pretty silently deleted when discussing banned add-ons). I'm just saying that some understanding of the potential ignorance of new users might make things go a little smoother around here.

We also have to remember that all of this is about a piece of software that appeals to not only the geek crowd but to the general non-technical, non-geek audience. Kodi is one of the few "killer app"s that have come around. "Killer app"s attract some pretty non-technical people and assuming that non-technical people know all of the nuances (i.e. of forums for example) that the geeks know is just not fair to them.
The forum rules (wiki) are linked at the top of every main page, and are referenced and have to be agreed to when you sign up here. If people just blindly accept them without actually reading them then it's not our fault, nor does it excuse breaking them.

No posts here (except spam) get deleted at all, they all get archived to the trash folder so they are still accessible for a period of time and so that if errors are made they can be rectified.

We can only take tolerance of ignorance so far, especially when it can interfere both with the legitimate usage of this board by everyone else, and also with the reputation and legal status of Kodi itself.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-08-07, 00:21)nickr Wrote: Any user can easily find their own posts, even if they have been put in the garbage bin.

More or less stumbled on this thread, but if what you say is the case can you tell me how to do this? I posted a few days back asking if anyone would be interested in creating a kodi addon for a Soviet Science Fiction film database. I didn't think I was breaking any rules, as everything on the site is free for any viewer, and no fees are involved whatsoever. Well, I can't find that post anywhere and doing a search on the word Soviet yielded no results at all. Any help greatly appreciated.
It's here, looks like it's just dropped onto a later page in that section.

If you go to your profile page (either by clicking on your own name in any post you've made or via the link at the top right hand corner of any page here and then click on your name in the user control panel) there is a link there for both find all threads and also find all posts. Those are specific searches which will show all of your threads and posts.

Alternatively you can use the search function at the top of any of our forum pages and search by username for your own forum name to find all your posts (or ask posts by any username you enter there).

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-09-07, 20:19)DarrenHill Wrote: It's here, looks like it's just dropped onto a later page in that section.

Thanks for the info, Darren, but any ideas why that post would drop down the rabbit hole like that? I mean, if I'm not seeing it I've little hope that anyone else will, unless specifically looking for it.
Oh look, one chap did see it. Rather, lots of folk saw it and one person responded. Oh well, at least one dude is happy. :< >
It's a busy forum section. If someone posts into a thread it rises to the top of the list (at least by default, the sort order is by most recent post date/time in the thread). As your thread only had one reply it moved down onto page 2 of the section (and quite possibly lower).

If you look in that forum section note you can see that the thread is now (as I write this) back at the top of the normal post section on page 1 due to the post you just added to the thread.

If you're wanting someone to make an add-on it would be better put in the add-on request section. If so let me know and I can move the thread there.

Kodi Blog Posts
Yeah, that much I understand on the nature of forums, but I couldn't find it in the subsequent pages. Who knows? Maybe I skimmed right over it a couple of times. Cheers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] Canadian Broadcasting Corp (CBC.ca) Video Addon0