How? Platform? Cheap compact Remote managed Download/ Torrent/ SMB/ NAS boxes
Given that Kodi forum experts have the most diverse set of experiences in terms of Hardware there are scenarios/ applications I'd like to bank on:

The follow are key requirements, if they can play run KODI as well, then that will be a bonus.. but key requirements are KEY.

For an older acquaintance who watches Old Ancient Shows/ Movies on laptop - Bad for their eyes

- A small easy to use SMB/ NAS that makes sharing media files easy to watch using some Kodi client/ box (mostly get an AML s905 box for them):
.. Storage: Internal drive/ SSD or small 2.5" HDD and/ or USB 3.0 pref/ 2.0 drives that He already has
.. OS: Open
.. UI: Light UI / Web UI

.. Application needs:
.. - Easy to setup Remote Access -
- As I will have to do maintenance/ troubleshooting for things
- Pref something that does not need me trying to do port forwarding/ open ports
.. I've used TeamViewer in the past, and now for helping people on their Windows use Remote Utlities - Set up and forget.
(VNC apps exist but I'd prefer to avoid long drawn debugging of ports etc - If ISP/ Modem/ Router changes then I'd have to not do anything )

.. Easy SMB share setup
.. Light/ lean minimal Download Tools: A download manager (might have to download some AV and tools for them), a Torrent app

Another Variation for ME - Slave box which is an Easy carry Portable Storage/ HDD with RJ45 + Remote + Download Tools :

This same person has a high bandwidth connection without FUP. And my ISP is a crappy limited connect. WHY?
Crazy amount of pico local neighborhood cable operator ISP's and super fragmented market controlled by goons.

So, he said I could use his connection to download things when I want. I lately needed lot of MS ISOs and there was no easy way to do this without being there.

The more smaller/ compact the better as what I'd like to do is:
- Plug in RJ 45/ Setup Wifi (Remote) and LEAVE
- Next visit - Unplug and take it as IS or plug USB3 HDD
- Plug remove, plug back..

As simple as attaching/ taking a Portable HDD, but having Remote Access for small tasks.

I know most likely the ideal here would be stuff like RPi .. from generation zero to 3.. Just that my exposure to these platforms is "read only"
I've glanced and fancied some day leveraging them, but havent gotten the time to do so.

PS: I have a 10/15 yr tech background so not a beginner in general, but having the right options pointed out will help me build/ or buy the right Slave Boxes.

They do not need to be super high performance, but hopefully perform decently
Any computer running linux will do it. All controlled via ssh with key based auth. For your own downloads plug an external into his machine and download to that.

You will need to open a port for ssh. Other than that it meets all your requirements.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-08-10, 12:53)crashnburn Wrote: I know most likely the ideal here would be stuff like RPi .. from generation zero to 3.. Just that my exposure to these platforms is "read only"
I've glanced and fancied some day leveraging them, but havent gotten the time to do so.
http://www.howtogeek.com/146410/how-to-a...d-box/all/

I had similar requirements to you.

I used huge chunks of that howtogeek link to set up a RPi 1 Model B for my sister who lives in a different state.

It is currently on 24/7 (and has been on for going on 3 years now) and has 2x external HDD's permanently connected to it.

It is used as a download box, media server, and backup box. All controlled remotely from any room in the house via her laptop.

When I visit, I can simply plug in my external HDD and copy files to and from the Pi.

I have also - albeit only once - remotely logged into it to do stuff from a different state where I live.

So, to me I think for sure a Pi could serve all of your needs.

I'm basically agreeing with nickr here, as her Pi is being used a "a computer running linux".

Good luck! Smile
(2016-08-10, 13:48)nickr Wrote: Any computer running linux will do it. All controlled via ssh with key based auth. For your own downloads plug an external into his machine and download to that.

You will need to open a port for ssh. Other than that it meets all your requirements.

Wanted something as small as a Hard Drive or SSD etc.

I know/ have heard of the following platforms:

- RPi
- Mini ITX / Mini PCs

Are there any other that I am missing?

OS & Applications suggestions/ recommendations for each of the functions I mentioned?

------------------------------

Your link is helpful KoopaTroopa :) I assume all the stuff from that link added via commandline, once installed have GUI / Web interfaces to control?

I'd like to avoid SSH or VNC as they need to have ports/ routers configured, IP changes and ISP changes etc. Any thoughts on something like a TeamViewer alternative that's free?

I guess I will have to google around for TeamViewer alternatives for *Nix. If you know any do point out.

Does something like Transmission work?

Actually when I think about it, is there something that does Remote Control/ Remote Torrent Control via Remote App v/s just a Web interface (Web is a more intensive protocol) than just a Remote App using Binary encoded commands.
The problem with something that small is that you need disk space to run a server, and one is never enough, and IMHO externals are messy.

Don't know enough about remote admin other than ssh.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Open Media Vault is pretty nice for the software side of things.
(2016-08-12, 11:57)nickr Wrote: The problem with something that small is that you need disk space to run a server, and one is never enough, and IMHO externals are messy.

Don't know enough about remote admin other than ssh.

Not trying to run a big ass Server..

- A tiny SMB share (for friend)

- Just a tiny seed/ downloader box that I can drop wherever/ whenever I have access to Faster Net.

https://www.pretzellogix.net/2015/01/14/...-reviewed/

Now given that making a RPi to get to the point of being operational in a box with all stuff.. as a Kit takes one to 60 / 70$

Then why wouldnt I just go with something like this:
2016-W10-Mini-PC-2G-32GB-Pocket-TV-Boxes-Atom-Z3735F-1-83GB-Windows-10-OS

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/W10-TV-B...e7b18ee98c

Its Intel and Windows.. Means I can run the apps I want and even run some *nix if I want without breaking my head over Rpi?

Pros and Cons?
(2016-08-14, 06:23)Ned Scott Wrote: Open Media Vault is pretty nice for the software side of things.

Read about it and its on my To Check for a future NAS Smile
I was thinking something as simple & portable as an External HDD - that could be moved from Network to network and be a small remote Box to do things e.g. download.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/revi...olid-punch
This is a revelation Smile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison..._computers

So many Micro/ Nano Platforms

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How? Platform? Cheap compact Remote managed Download/ Torrent/ SMB/ NAS boxes0